[Q]Learning coding

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by BJ0RN, May 13, 2016.

1. BJ0RN

BJ0RN MDL HTTP-uploader

Dec 6, 2013
    I was wondering if someone could like me to some good guides for learning coding. Im a totally neewb and have never coded before.
    Fenks. :cool:

2. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Which language do you want to learn, and what would you like to do with it?

If you're looking to do main stream programming, then the Microsoft suite is for you. C#, VB and the like.
    You might find a Delphi installation from time to time, but many business that develop use MS products.

If you want to tinker with free products, then Code::Blocks / TDM-GCC is the way to go for C / C++.
    For Pascal, try Lazarus. It's built on top of Free Pascal.

They're both fine products, I might add.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. trungpt

trungpt MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2009
    That heavily depends on what you want to do:

Web programming
    Desktop programming
    Server programming
    Robot programming

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. BJ0RN

BJ0RN MDL HTTP-uploader

Dec 6, 2013
    Im really not sure what is easiest to start with. :g:
    I would like to learn to make programs, but if there is something else I should start with, then tell me. :hug2:

5. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    @bjorn: Personally, I like Pascal, but, IMHO you should learn C, C++ and Pascal. Once you understand the concepts of Object Oriented programming,
    Other languages will become readable to you.

I'd try Lazarus. If you have questions, you know where to find me. ;)

6. BJ0RN

BJ0RN MDL HTTP-uploader

Dec 6, 2013
    Hmm, so you say try Lazarus. I'll do. :hug2:
    About knowing where to find you, I don't. Your qtox is mostly offline. Not saying mine is online either :D

7. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    Post a question here or at my other hangout. (The quiet place :D )
    qTox has been down because of the Internet outage I had.

8. Threat

Threat Lord of the Files

Feb 23, 2014
    One of the modern languages like C# may be a good start as you don't need to worry about low level stuff like buffer overflows, memory allocation etc. and the .net frameworks provide a lot of functionality.

It's commonly used for both web apps and desktop apps.

Sometimes I feel programmers get spoilt by not doing lower level languages like C where you can easily overrun memory etc. so I suppose it has it's drawbacks :/ makes you lazy and inefficient. I think it is worth learning a language like C if only to appreciate what you don't have to worry about in newer languages :)

9. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    @Threat: I agree with you about mainstream languages like C# and even Java. There's more commercial value to learning those languages.

And the funny thing is that C is not an Object Oriented programming language at all. It was originally designed as a portable language. Granted you can implement Objects (ATL and COM are a set of classes originally implemented in C. See here: http://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/60234-C-C-Build-a-Windows-Explorer-Extension-without-ATL)

C++ was an afterthought by AT&T (CFRONT) and was originally done as a pre-processor.

I agree. Also, there's the issue of Mixed-Language programming. You should understand calling conventions so that you can take advantage of 3rd party DLLs.

10. Threat

Threat Lord of the Files

Feb 23, 2014
    Sadly not much call for hand crafted assembler code these days :(

11. BJ0RN

BJ0RN MDL HTTP-uploader

Dec 6, 2013
    RIP my brain... :(
    Now Im really not sure what to do, look at Lazarus or C#... :g:

12. 3sidedcube

3sidedcube MDL Member

Oct 1, 2009
    #12 3sidedcube, May 18, 2016
    Last edited: May 18, 2016
    bjorn96

It depend's on your knowledge.
    I would suggest to go with what you feel comfortable with. Most programming languages come with standard classes that you can work with to build application's.
    I could give some suggestion's but would only get slated because of the way I do thing's _ I prefer to cobble together to get an end result that I want I use several way's to do this and several compilers lib's and such.
    but that's the easy way hard way is to learn a coding language C++ pref. but understanding the syntax of program's and knowing what each line of text is doing that's the hard part . Look just dive in there and have a go at some simple program's to begin with try and understand what is happening in the program. that's all the advice I can give to you.

My first program that I did was using Visual basic and before that it was Qbasic lol yeah try Qbasic the one with link library and compiler. that should be simple enough to get your head round.

There is another that is built into Windows itself it's called COM and COM+ this is more on the interprocess but still based on Classes. have a read here to learn more google understanding and programming COM+ if you follow this it should put you right on track ...

give me a head's up on how you do.... not that you need help :)

Have a word with Mr X he know's about COM+ <maybe :p

13. Niekess

Niekess MDL Addicted

Mar 31, 2011
    I would suggest you to look at C#. You can make apps for iOS, Android, and Windows in that language. On top of that, you can also make some fancy websites or complicated Windows desktop software.

If you want to learn about how computers work, what their limitations are, and learn to program on a deep level then you can take Harvard's course CS50 online for free. Paying for a verified certificate is possible.