[Q] Replacement for Windows Explorer infrastructure

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by LiteOS, Dec 6, 2017.

1. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    #21 RanCorX2, Aug 15, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    ^ Tablacus is decent.

1. winxshell is meant for PE, though it works on normal install, classic shell is incompatible, some old versions work but you can't replace taskbar or hide the start button. (author said hiding start button is possible and provided instructions but i couldn't do it)
    also you can't drag and drop on the desktop, icons snap back in place, only works on PE.

2. reactos explorer is far too basic and still very incomplete to use on windows, can't hide tray icons, barely functional start menu, no customization.

3. can't really recommend anything as there isn't anything availble to replicate the shell in a working form.

4. tell a user to switch to linux is either a joke or just unhelpful. I've tried a few linux distros but have always returned to windows as it's much easier to use. (imo of course)

best bet is to slim down windows.

2. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    #22 LiteOS, Aug 16, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    (OP)
    I tried so many linux distros
    And I could find bug in a day or two
    Mb google os or android is the future
    Cos even windows server 2019 beta have bug in safe mode when it almost done

3. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    what does that mean? bug in safe mode where it almost done?

google os *shudder*

4. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    ms almost finish dev rs5 just closing small bugs

google os fuchsia

5. cuteee

cuteee MDL Guru

Oct 13, 2012
    I always saw bugs in safe mode in windows 10.

6. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    i don't think anything can top the usefulness of windows and it's ui (start menu, desktop, explorer)

7. ohenry

ohenry MDL Senior Member

Aug 10, 2009
    My day job is supporting scientific, technical software running under Linux (RHEL). A lot of that software is moving from Linux to Windows. Right now, most of the major vendors in this area are releasing new versions simultaneously under Linux and Windows, and the writing is on the wall, Windows is the future. My job (supporting this weird mish mash of software) is much easier under Linux, but no one has asked or cares about my opinion. One of the main problems I'm encountering is the shortcomings of batch (cmd.exe) versus the unix bash shell. And of course, for more complex tasks, perl is available everywhere under Linux. Under Windows, Powershell seems to be it as far as being available across hundreds of desktops. I'm attempting to learn PowerShell, but it's really not straight forward. And it's a lot harder to find an example of how to do something in Powershell, as compared to perl or bash.

I will admit that the Windows File Explorer is better than anything available under Linux.

8. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...