[Q] Win 8, bypass PAE/NX/SSE2 check

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by TziMmys, Sep 18, 2012.

1. disc4

disc4 MDL Novice

Apr 10, 2010
    #61 disc4, Dec 20, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  2. matybg

matybg MDL Novice

Nov 1, 2011
    Has anybody tried to install Windows 8 on a similar pc and then switching the hdd to the non Nx proccesor one? Or another workaround for this?

3. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    Consumer and Release Preview did not check NX. RTM/Final does and so far no way to install without it. That's the way it goes

4. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    Why is NX a requirement exactly? After install, it can be disabled via bcdedit and not used.

5. Fred Blogg

Fred Blogg MDL Novice

Jan 3, 2013
    Hi Folks

Now you have got me confused.

I have been looking at the list of P4 CPUs on cpu-world and from their list there is no P4 on socket 478 with an execute disable bit. The first P4 with the bit was a Prescott on socket 775 - P4 506, 2.667GHZ, 533FSB, 1024 cache. The P4 511 was also on 775, a 2.8GHZ, 533FSB and 1024 cache.

There is no 511J but a 510J with the specs of 511.

The P4 2.8GHZ on 478 with 533FSB and 1024 cache does not have the bit. They don't list a 2.8 and a 2.8A.

So is it safe to say that the first P4 CPUs with NX were on 775 sockets and none on 478 sockets had it?

Fred

6. Please-8

Please-8 MDL Junior Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Really ? So I could
    • connect HDD to a PC with NX,
    • install Windows 8,
    • disable NX via bcdedit and
    • reconnect HDD to a PC without NX ?

7. curiousboy

curiousboy MDL Junior Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Only CP and DP works with out NX, RP and RTM never works, there is no stable solution because it's hard coded , you will just get error and BSOD:wallbash:.Actually M$ doesnt like old systems run windows 8, you need better hardware with latest directX graphics card to take advantage of this OS

8. Please-8

Sep 12, 2012
    #69 Please-8, Jan 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Nevertheless I have disabled NX in bootmanager with
    bcdedit /set {current} nx AlwaysOff
    And Windows 8 RTM still runs fine after rebooting ...

Code:
    nx [Optin |OptOut | AlwaysOn |AlwaysOff]

Optin:
    Enables DEP (Data Execution Prevention) only for operating system components, including the
    Windows kernel and drivers. Administrators can enable DEP on selected executable files by using
    the Application Compatibility Toolkit (ACT). 

Optout:
    Enables DEP for the operating system and all processes, including the Windows kernel and drivers.
    However, administrators can disable DEP on selected executable files by using System in Control Panel. 

AlwaysOn:
    Enables DEP for the operating system and all processes, including the Windows kernel and drivers.
    All attempts to disable DEP are ignored. 

AlwaysOff:
    Disables DEP. Attempts to enable DEP selectively are ignored. 
    On Windows Vista, this parameter also disables Physical Address Extension (PAE).
    This parameter does not disable PAE on Windows Server 2008.

9. disc4

disc4 MDL Novice

Apr 10, 2010
    Are you using a nx bit CPU or not? I tried many variations of the nx parameter in the BCD on my Athlon XP and it wouldn't get me past the error.

10. Please-8

Sep 12, 2012
    Are you sure or do you believe it because Microsoft says so ?
    How do you have checked this ?

I have checked: System -> Advanced system settings -> Performance Settings -> Data Execution Prevention:

With NX = Optin
    • First choice is enabled ("Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only")
    • And at bottom of window: "Your computer's processor supports hardware-based DEP"
    With NX = AlwaysOff
    • No choice is enabled (all greyed out)
    • And at bottom of window: "To use these settings, you must be a computer administrator and you must use bcdedit.exe file. For more information, search the Microsoft Knowledge Base online."

11. disc4

disc4 MDL Novice

Apr 10, 2010
    I'm not "sure", but I have tried messing with the NX settings in the BCD, and it doesn't fix anything for me. Do you have evidence to the contrary?

12. TechNoLogic

TechNoLogic MDL Novice

Nov 18, 2012
    •Is the check for NX bit only is whilst installation ? (Windows 8)

_____
    To answer that: I have tried this with two variations of Windows 8, the Preview version, and the Windows 8 Enterprise. The Windows8-ReleasePreview-32bit-English Release ran while in Windows, did a check and stopped with an incompatible CPU error. The other version of Windows 8, ran like the Windows 7 installation DVD, by stepping through all the installations steps, including the partitioner and copying all the files to the hard drive and then it rebooted to load the NEWLY loaded Windows 8 OS to finalize but at this point, the loading of the NEW windows 8 OS kicked out the D5xxxxx error which I think pertains to NO DEP (NX=Data Execution Prevention). Windows 7 emulations this -- so why can't Windows 8 do the same. MS would sell more copies if this were so.

I also read that someone wrote there is another variation of Windows 8, an earlier version that doesn't check for DEP (NX) and installs and runs. In addition, The Upgrade progrqam that you download from MS for $15 dollars and $40 dollars Windows 8 upgrade, does a check on the same computer, and shows what is compatible and what is not on the with the above mentioned errors, and still progresses to the screen to buy and download Windows 8. .. I am sure there is a work around, like Loading and CPU Emulation before Windows 8 Loads and fooling the OS.

13. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    unfortunately, there is no way around using a CPU which handles the NX file trying to install the RTM = final version of W8 which version ever. Period

14. javamocha2000

javamocha2000 MDL Novice

Jan 29, 2010
    #75 javamocha2000, Jan 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
    The PAE/NX/SSE2 check is done in the Windows 8 OS and CAN NOT fake it using the software emulation method.
    Believe me I try everything that I could think of but all failed at the end, so in my case I swapped the CPU that has PAE/NX/SSE2 and it worked like a charm.

15. MelvinMan10

MelvinMan10 MDL Novice

Dec 20, 2012
    #76 MelvinMan10, Jan 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
    That is very cool! I think I could run Windows 8 CP on my old laptop, but the only thing is, the evaluation period has already ended (as of 19/1/2012), and the system may shut down every hour or 2 hours.

16. TechNoLogic

TechNoLogic MDL Novice

Nov 18, 2012
    Well, guess what? I have this one OLD computer(XP) with NO NX on the CPU and I just installed one of the earlier versions Windows 8 on it. Better yet, transparency works on it. Yet with Windows 7 on this same computer, all of that was not possible. I did nothing to this Version of Windows 8 OS what-so-ever to get it to install or to make the Transparency to work. From this, I see MS is kind of messed up by not keeping this in effect with later Versions of Windows 8. They would get more sells this way.

17. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    Earlier versions of W8 like CP or RP do not require that security BS but after using the final version, you are f****d. Certainly some W7 machines/CPUs have this necessary little bug called NX and can run W8, but as it seems, my view into the future was not that far off the road.

18. TechNoLogic

TechNoLogic MDL Novice

Nov 18, 2012
    Regards to "TO Answer that: About NO DX on the CPU " .. in addition to what I posted yesterday about my Windows 8 experience and the NO DX on the CPU-problem with various Installations, I also mentioned that someone else posted that of a mentioning of Windows 8 that will work, but a previous version. After I posted here yesterday, I continued on my merry searching on the web for such a disc. I initially came to MDL cause I usually find an ISO link to something I am looking for, but this was not the case as of yet. Now today, I am back here on the same computer that Had Windows 7 on it, but this time I am using the very same computer but with WINDOWS 8 on it. I found the ISO that this person was talking about and it works. I started to install it last night but it was very late, so during restarts, I finished my last restart this morning for the install process, and it restarted about 4 times approx. (4 or 5) and now I am back to let you all Know about it. I see the mention of the TWO hour limit that shuts your computer down, well, that has not happened. I waited two hours just to see if the computer would shut down before coming here to provide my findings and it is now nearly 3 hours later from the creation of my USER'S folder since I logged in on windows. To let you know, I did nothing to this ISO that I downloaded but there was a quirk. It was in a RAR file and yet, the ISO I extracted would not MOUNT however 7ZIP extracted the ISO folder/files to my HDD and I ran Setup. After the moment of SETUP checking with seeing the BETA Fish on the screen, and after the 1st restart, I knew I now have the Version this person was talking about(Windows 8 Consumer Preview Build 8250 beta). If you were here looking at this computer from the time it had XP, 7, and now 8, you would be amused or amazed of the findings. With XP, I had all my functions of Directx and 3D video, about 9 or 10 listed in DXDIAG. In Windows 7 Trials, this was not possible due to the way they wrote the OS using Drivers. Windows 7 transparency would not work and I could load all my drivers signed XP, but only 4 Directx features were listed. Now comes the amazing part, in this Beta Windows 8 Trial, I got everything working. 3D video is working with the transparency and the taskbar thumbnails preview that pops up when you hover. This was not possible in Windows 7 unless you used the addon listed on AskVG's website. Also, I looked and in this version it has a DEP setting like Windows 7 does. There are some other things I have noticed, but I may post more pending on responses. I did nothing to this ISO to get it to work. The person posting about doing a Patch on the OS Windows 8 software, well, my suggestions is to analyze this copy I have to the Later Versions of Windows 8. Maybe one can do a File swap, like they did with enabling Windows mail to work in Windows 7. I tested this posting about Enabling it and replacing the changed DLL with the Vista Version and it worked. I also did the recommended REG changes(tweaks) to rectify to the OS that it is indeed installed.

19. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    We are not talking about any manipulated previous versions but only about RTM. This bulls**t is out of the past and does not fit here.. You might encountered something funny for yourself but please keep it at your home. Same with hacktivation (not your issue atm) which has no place on MDL. Sorry but this is the naked truth about W8. Your model will not come to an end here :D