Question about Acronis Image restore and Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by zahnoo, Mar 24, 2011.

1. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Good afternoon.

I’ve used Acronis in a corporate environment to restore XP Pro volume license key images with no problems at all.

I’ve also used Windows 7’s built-in system imaging process to restore systems using the built-in process with no problems.

What kind of problems, if any, might I expect when restoring an Acronis Windows 7 Microsoft key activated system? I have images created from within Windows 7 and images created by using the Acronis boot CD. Is one preferable to the other for Windows 7?

Thanks guys for any input you might have.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    #2 zahnoo, Mar 25, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
    (OP)
    Thanks for the comments; I had a feeling Acronis was more flexible given the bells and whistles it has. My usage has been limited to a very few image restorations but I didn't actually create the images, I just clicked the options as an IT staffer talked me through it on the phone.

It seems to me the best way to go is to create the images using the bootable CD. Is that really the better approach?

Again, thanks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Kamar

Kamar MDL Junior Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Acronis is a great utility. I have been using it since v6.0 and win 98. It has beacome Huge now , but I still use it. there's nothing like the assurance you get , that no matter what you can get back a clean install in 10 minutes.

However Acronis was not able to restore my images a few times in the past few months. Three times my Hard drive , C:\ became unreadable , I could not boot and I had to get a new one. After the 3rd one last week , I took all my drives to the dealer , his tech connected it as extra drive to his computer running win XP, All three drives were readable . I had to cut a very sorry face , You know how the tech people look down on general folks. I came back and connected it my computer and no the bios did not read it.

I read the manual again , and switched in the Bios the Sata controller from AHCI to IDE.

Bios now read the drive. I had put on AHCI beacause win7 has sata driver , and goes on installing unlike win XP, which gives blue screen in AHCI mode.

Now all three of my drives are ok and standby ,and running win 7 with sata drives as IDE drives.

nothing to with acronis , a caution is worth while when putting sata drive on AHCI for some performance.

4. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
  5. wuhoatu

wuhoatu MDL Member

Apr 24, 2009
    7 OEM (both x86 and x64) recovered by Acronis Tru Image Home (both version v.13/2010 and v.14/2011) have same MBR error 3 message. And I have to use MBR Regenerator to correct the error message, then re-activate it with OEM SLP Key and Certficiate.

6. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011