[Question] About distro selection

Discussion in 'Linux' started by crypticus, Oct 4, 2021.

1. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ipx

ipx MDL Addicted

May 24, 2017
    #23 ipx, Jan 7, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2022

4. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    hmm i hope you forgive me, but do you understand the English language? i believe not because when I stated good news I simply wanted to say that there is a new build of Linux Mint...;)

5. ipx

ipx MDL Addicted

May 24, 2017
    #25 ipx, Jan 9, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2022

6. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    #26 Tiger-1, Jan 9, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
    wow I`m running now my new version of Windows FX, works fine, although still in demo mode probally tomorrow I have installed in dual boot with my WinOS10 LTSC 2019 in same ssd of course until now no issues...:D:p

7. CaptainKirk1966

CaptainKirk1966 Former MDL Guru

Oct 31, 2009
    Ah, do you mean the favorite distro religious wars, which started quite some time ago? ;)

Slackware 1.0 July 1993
    Red Hat 1 May 1995
    Debian 1.1 June 1996

8. :D;)

9. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    No not that war, this is another one lol haha.

Looking forward by the way for steamos 3.0 based on arch. If that OS gets released linux will grow more and more in time :D. I think Windows will die eventually.

10. CaptainKirk1966

CaptainKirk1966 Former MDL Guru

Oct 31, 2009
    Well, folks have been predicting the death of Windows since the early days of Linux in the 1990's. If it takes another 30 years, I may not be around to see it.

$0.02 - My favorite linux distro is debian or ubuntu with an xfce desktop

11. vladnil

vladnil MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2019
    #31 vladnil, Feb 9, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2022
    Installed OpenMandriva LX 4.3
    The problem with the keyboard (backlight) has not been solved.
    Backlight does not work.
    RX570 videocard drivers with Vulkan - can not be installed!
    Run the game elite dangerous odyssey failed.
    _____

The backlight was solved with the command xset led 3
    But the video card driver with volcano - no

12. Dude Guyman

Dude Guyman MDL Senior Member

Jun 20, 2017
    This right here! I know it's totally preference, but Xfce is just good. Has all the important configurations, easily found, but not option overload (KDE) or option non-existant, looking like 1998 is back (cinnamon, LXQT).

Only downside, if I understand correctly, is that Xfce is in the rear with the gear when it comes to supporting Wayland...if that ever makes it to prime time.

13. Netbanshee

Netbanshee MDL Junior Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Zorin is solid. Running for years now when not wanting winBS.

14. °ツ

°ツ MDL Addicted

Jun 8, 2014
    #34 °ツ, Dec 17, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2023
    I'm borrowing this thread, don't want to open another thread. I got a bit bored so decided to try Nix OS and I like it so far.

It's really easy to make a minimal install script once you have a working configuration. I started by installing using the GUI installer and then modifying the files it creates because I don't feel spending days looking at how to create config from scratch.

I feel some things are done simpler than on other distros once you get a hang of it. For example, you specify the location and size of a swapfile in hardware-config and it creates one for you and activates it during first boot, no need to create one and then activate it and make changes to fstab.

You can make a minimal Gnome install by disabling Gnome core packages and then manually installing what you want.

There is a huge selection of packages and they seem to be up to date but maybe not as up to date as on Arch Linux. And you can search for all the available configuration options on the site but they are not so well explained so you might need to google about some of them to find out how to use them correctly. If there is an error in the config files it will show you what is wrong so you can fix it easily.

Every time you edit the config and rebuild it will create a new entry in the boot manager and the old entries will also show up there so you can roll back to a previous config if the system doesn't boot. Nano is the default editor, I like that.

If you want to try it download the Gnome ISO and install using the graphical installer.

Code:
      # Disable Gnome core packages
      services.gnome.core-utilities.enable = false;
      environment.gnome.excludePackages = [ pkgs.gnome-tour ];

# Disable Xterm
      services.xserver.excludePackages = [ pkgs.xterm ];

# Disable NixOS manual
      documentation.nixos.enable = false;

Code:
      # Install Gnome packages
      programs.seahorse.enable = true;
      programs.gnome-disks.enable = true;
      programs.evince.enable = true;
      programs.file-roller.enable = true;

# Enable Gnome stuff
      services.gnome.gnome-settings-daemon.enable = true;
      services.gnome.gnome-keyring.enable = true;
      services.gnome.sushi.enable = true;
      services.gnome.core-shell.enable = true;

15. Drak_iaji

Drak_iaji MDL Novice

May 22, 2022
    I honestly don't recommend any debian/ubuntu based distros because the software sources are lagging.
    My recommendation is Manjaro Linux.

16. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    Use Mint, its the best option for most users, and if you don't like the Ubuntu base go for the Debian edition [LMDE6 release is days away]. If the software on offer is a little dated use Flatpak as TCB13 suggests.

17. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    yeah, they keep us waiting;)

18. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    i am on ubuntu based mint [works great.]too...but i do not trust canonical any farther than i can throw them; so when the time comes, i will switch distros.;)