Question About Using Windows 8 Store

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by smith96, Aug 23, 2012.

1. smith96

smith96 MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2012
    Hey guys,

Is their any harm in installing or updating Windows 8 Apps from the store? Is it possible to be tracked, or even worse, potentially loosing activation? My plan is to create a new MS account, and solely use it for the purpose of installing apps. Is this a good idea? Will i loose my permanent activation? Thanks in advanced.

I hope I'm not breaking the forum rules... I reviewed my post carefully, to insure I'm not saying anything bad. Please forgive me if any way I am not abiding by the rules. Thanks.

2. Puremin0rez

Puremin0rez MDL Senior Member

Nov 24, 2010
    I'm sure you'll be fine. I don't think Microsoft would ever ban tons of accounts or anything, talk about bad publicity - Plus RTM is legally available right now anyways.

I can personally say I am using my Microsoft account right now and have lots of apps :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    Supposedly the only thing the the Apps store will mess with are your purchased/free apps and only if those apps are later deleted by the developer or microsoft at their own discretion. I don't think they care if you paid for them or not, once they decide you cannot have it, you cannot have it.

4. ! .ĐΛЄMØИ. !

! .ĐΛЄMØИ. ! MDL Junior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Hmm debatable, MS could probably see what product key you are using.

If they see your using one of the leaked keys, could they block your account? (I could be a victim of software piracy LOL)

I mean they have the right to rightt?

5. hybridseries

hybridseries MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2012
    Technically they could, I suppose, but it's probably not so likely. Part of the thing with using the Microsoft accounts is that it lets you keep your apps, settings, etc. regardless of the computer you use. You can set up your Microsoft account at home but your computer dies, so you go to a friend's and he lets you use his computer for a while. You use your Microsoft account to sign in on his computer. His copy of Windows could have a stolen key but that doesn't mean it's your fault.

For those who are worried about it, making a new Hotmail account only takes a few minutes and lets you use a Microsoft account without putting your "real" account at risk.

6. Brainsuck

Brainsuck MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2009
    vhd boot with win 7 work great win 8 blows up delete the vhd file use msconfig delete the win 8 boot entry restart back to win 7

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    That's easy for you to say! ;)

8. smith96

smith96 MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2012
    Alright thanks guys ! I suppose it's safe to install apps afterall, already have a few now ! :worthy:

9. hybridseries

hybridseries MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2012
    If you'd previously downloaded apps for any of the previews you'll have them associated with your account too (provided that you used the same account.) Right-click on the main Store page to get a menu that lets you view your account, then it'll show you any apps that you have in your account that aren't installed. (That's also what you'd do if you had an app on your desktop that you wanted to install on your laptop, etc.)