Question concerning SLP OEM licensing

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by Bumslaw, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Bumslaw

Bumslaw MDL Novice

Jul 8, 2009
    I've been asked to audit our software licenses where I work as the Junior Admin, and I've encountered something troubling.

About one half of the XP Pro installs that we have are using the same License Number and Key.

Yes it is an SLP key. Here is the thing: I am concerned with the legality (or lack thereof) of this practice. Some of the computers in question are Laptops that were down-graded to XP from Vista, some are HP machines, others are IBMs.

Most of these machines (save the Laptops) have COA Licenses for XP tacked on the case...but they are not installed with those keys.

Please point me in the right direction. I am more then willing to purchase new keys, reinstall/modify the OSs, or anything that is necessary to make our licensing legit (hence the audit :\ ).

I would like to know if I need to modify XP so that they are using the provided COA keys or is it acceptable to leave them as is (all using the same the SLP key).

The computers are all refurbs that we purchased from the same dealer over the last 5 years.

Please advise.

2. Bumslaw

Bumslaw MDL Novice

Jul 8, 2009
    So, to clarify, your saying that, if our company were audited by Microsoft, and that, because we've purchased these refurbs from a licensed dealer (with the adjoining COA stickers still intact) we have purcahsed the license legitimately and it does not matter what key is installed on the machine (physically).

EDIT: Also note that we have laptops with VISTA keys on the COA that were downgraded to XP (with the same SLP key used).

3. tds

tds MDL Junior Member

Sep 5, 2008
    #3 tds, Jul 8, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
    xp cannot use vista key

run oembios.exe, check bios oem string. use the right oemfiles and slp key
    all branded laptop can be pre-activated (all xp laptop/pc sold in the market use same key for same brand)

4. Bumslaw

Bumslaw MDL Novice

Jul 8, 2009
    Thanks very much guys; greatly appreciated. Just trying to cover my ass :D .

5. Bumslaw

Bumslaw MDL Novice

Jul 8, 2009
    I'm still unsure about the ex-Vista Machines. I suppose I could just call MS...

6. Bumslaw

Bumslaw MDL Novice

Jul 8, 2009
    I am almost positive the Laptops were originally shipped with Vista Basic. What I am unsure about is whether the Vista License entitles us to the XP downgrade. Am I suppose to get a key for the install of XP (regardless of the key I have for Vista)?

Thanks again for your time.

7. 2centsworth

2centsworth MDL Senior Member

Feb 12, 2008