[Question] Does Truecrypt break loaders?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by PalermoTech46, Nov 18, 2011.

1. PalermoTech46

PalermoTech46 MDL Junior Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #1 PalermoTech46, Nov 18, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
    Anyone have experience how much Truecrypt breaks loaders? What is best setting to preserve compatibility with SLIC activations and loaders?

2. atomicliver

atomicliver MDL Novice

Jun 26, 2011
    I installed Truecrypt on my system and it had no problem with Daz's loader. Didn't break it at all.

3. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Uninstall the loader first, encrypt the drive and then install the loader. If things go bad then you can use something like Hirens boot CD to mount the encrypted Windows partition and delete the loader.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. PalermoTech46

Nov 18, 2011
    Thx for the reply Daz! Hmm why would i have to uninstall loader first if truecrypt overrides the boot stuff with it's own bootloader anyways? does "unistall" command do anything that lets the loader survive the encryption better? i dont get it what's the difference lol

5. PalermoTech46

Nov 18, 2011
    Oh yeah, Hirens is a very good live cd. How could i delete the loader from the boot areas with Hirens outside the Windows environment though? do i need to use a partition manager to delete the custom grub GTLDR your loader installs or do i need to do more?

6. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #6 Daz, Nov 18, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
    Well theres an easier way. When installing the loader select to use it's default boot menu from the advanced options tab. If the loader should then fail to boot you can select the "No SLIC" option which will get you back into Windows :) Of course you wouldn't need to do any of this as long as you know the loader works before encrypting the drive.

Only from personal experience can I say that encrypting and then using the loader will work. It might work if you encrypt the drive after installing the loader as TrueCrypt only modifies the MBR.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. PalermoTech46

Nov 18, 2011
    Thanks, I will try this!

And if I use the advanced option "No SLIC" without any encryption at all before or after, does the "No SLIC" option ticked still activates windows? I'm guessing the No SLIC is just another method that activates Windows with the loader but without treating SLIC?

8. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    It's the loader adding the SLIC that can sometimes cause problems until you use some of the loaders other advanced options e.g. using the legacy mode or disabling type 4 memory. The "No SLIC" option will make Windows boot as it normally would so that you can quickly change any of the loader settings should you need to.

9. PalermoTech46

Nov 18, 2011
    Do i lose activation if I use "No SLIC" option?

10. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Yes, since no ACPI tables are modified.

11. dkinsano

dkinsano MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2011
    Using no slic should unable activation