question installing windows in uefi mode using usb stick

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by mreyna16, May 5, 2013.

1. mreyna16

mreyna16 MDL Novice

May 3, 2013
    i have installed a fresh copy of windows 8 enterprise x64 on my samsung series 5 ultra notebook

my question to you guys is, i want to install in uefi mode (i dont know if im making sense as im new to this) but am limited to only use usb as installation because my laptop does not have a disk drive and i would not want to buy an external one (unless it is my last option because i dont really use disks anymore and buying an external drive will be a waste of money). well, how can i do this? if i create a bootable usb using rufus can i install windows the way i want? i dont know if this is enough information to give me an answer, if you need me to specify what bios version i have, what exact model number i have, etc then let me know, thanks!

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Latest version of Rufus supports making UEFI compatible Windows installer USBs.

:)

3. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    #3 EFA11, May 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  4. mreyna16

mreyna16 MDL Novice

May 3, 2013
    Ok ill try the rufus first so it can be easier... question: just to be on the safe side as I am a noob with these new bios and computers, how can I double check if I can install an uefi installation? I'm not near my comp to check and post for sure but I beleive I have the option for uefi, both os' and just the other

5. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    #5 murphy78, May 6, 2013
    I did a uefi install from usb flash drive using bios options and diskpart prepping.

open admin command prompt.
    run diskpart
    Code:
    list disk
    select disk X (where x is your flash drive with appropriate size)
    clean
    convert gpt
    create partition primary
    select partition 1
    active
    format fs=fat32 quick
    assign
    exit
    exit

Copy the CONTENTS of the iso you want to install to the usb.
    Boot from the usb.
    If setup starts without showing the spinning logo, you're booting correctly into uefi.

Before running setup, you should prep the hard disk to use gpt also.
    press shift-f10 during setup screen and it will bring up the command prompt.
    again run diskpart
    Code:
    list disk
    select disk X (where x is your target hard drive)
    clean
    convert gpt
    exit
    exit

Then select the disk with no active partitions in setup since you just cleaned and converted it to gpt.

6. donalgodon

donalgodon MDL Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Does that mean that a Windows 8 bootable USB made with the MS Windows 7 USB tool doesn't support UEFI installation on a newer computer?

7. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    The tool doesn't support UEFI at all since it formats to NTFS. However the USB that is made with it can be made to boot in UEFI as I showed above (as a more simpler solution for those who wont use command prompt). Make the bootable usb with the tool, format the usb to fat 32 and extract the iso in full, back to the usb. now you can use it to boot to UEFI.

8. donalgodon

donalgodon MDL Member

Jul 21, 2010
    What settings should I use for UEFI to boot my new laptop using a USB made with Rufus?

I have my iso downloaded, but it won't boot because I made it first with the windows 7 tool, but I'm confused about UEFI and what it will actually do, etc.

I just want to swap out my spinning disk and format and install an SSD that I already have that is currently MacOS formatted. I want to install windows 8.

Any help would be appreciate. Sorry for my noobishness.

9. HALIKUS

HALIKUS MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    Fat32 USB (no NTFS), have the EFI dir in root, and let your bios do the rest.

10. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    #10 EFA11, Jun 1, 2013
    Another bit of info using The USB/DVD tool.

From the readme that comes with the tool:
    Code:
    To bypass formatting the USB device within the tool:

1. Ensure the registry key "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ISO Backup Tool" is created.
    2. Create a new DWORD value named "DisableFormat" in this location and set the value to 1.

NOTE: The USB device should be formatted manually before running the tool.
    This way you can already have a usb formated to Fat32. So save a few steps from what I mentioned above. So no need to make the usb with the tool, format it and extract the iso. Does it all at once this way.