Question on How to make a silent install in Office 2010

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by calpo, Jul 7, 2010.

1. calpo

calpo MDL Member

Apr 23, 2010
    #1 calpo, Jul 7, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
    Hi all,

I installed Office 2010 - Retail and used Retail Key to activate. I also back up 2 files: cache.dat & tokens.dat in case of re-installing Office later.

I used the folder Admin from Office Customization Tool (OCT) and put it in Retail. Using Add files function for adding cache.dat & tokens.dat. But no luck. I try to re-install ... it still requires Activate online.

I like to make a silent install CD with these 2 files.

Does anyone know what's missing step or what I need to do more please ?

Thanks a lot in advance.

2. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    Your missing the registry files which contain the office 2010 activation/product key/etc....
    It is located here....
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\OfficeSoftwareProtectionPlatform
    It is best just to export the whole folder as it contains the essentials to office 2010...
    Be warned thou this has not been tried with but I'm certain that thats all you need...

3. calpo

calpo MDL Member

Apr 23, 2010
    #3 calpo, Jul 7, 2010
    (OP)
    @Smorgan

How many files do you think that we need to back up ? I only back up 2 files: cache.dat & tokens.dat

Someone backs up more than 2 such as:

OSPP.VBS
    OSPPSVC.EXE
    pkeyconfig-office.xrm-ms
    ProPlusrWW.XML
    SETUP.XML

4. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    Its quite difficult to tell these days but as far as I can tell you need the following out of the group....
    OSPP.VBS - contains the SKUID which is the default with a retail copy
    OSPPSVC.EXE - just the middleman with activation not really necessary
    pkeyconfig-office.xrm-ms - Contains the license info but not the activation
    ProPlusrWW.XML - not needed
    SETUP.XML - contains all the SKUID's which tell office what edition it is...

So you need the following:
    Cache.dat
    Tokens.dat
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\OfficeSoftwareProtectionPlatform (export this)

All of these contain the activation status especially Cache.dat and the registry key as the key says what the activation status is and the product key which needless to say is encrypted and machine specific.... Also this will prob work since I have 2 folders with all the activation stuff for my machine one marked activated and the other marked unactivated....

5. calpo

calpo MDL Member

Apr 23, 2010
    #7 calpo, Jul 7, 2010
    (OP)
    Thankyou for your instruction.

Any chance that we can create a silent install CD .... I mean....Use Office Customization Tool (OCT) or put 3 files: cache.dat , tokens.dat & backup.reg in folder Updates from Office 2010 ?