Question on UEFI bios mod

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by jabbawok, Jun 17, 2011.

1. jabbawok

jabbawok MDL Novice

Mar 18, 2009
    #1 jabbawok, Jun 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
    I've just finished building a new system based around an Asrock Z68 Extreme4 mobo. I noticed in the requests forum someone has already modded the current UEFI bios for this board. But since there will probably be several updates over the coming months - since it's a fairly new motherboard - I'd like to be able to do the modding myself.

So I had a go using the Phoenix tool and left all the settings at default. It seemed to work and it verified ok and everything. However when I compare md5 sums of my mod and the one posted in the requests thread they are different. I'm pretty sure I used the same Asus slic as the other modder did. Is there any reason for this? I'm not sure if any of the settings (like the method) need to be changed. These UEFI bioses are new to me.

I'm just being cautious since I'm not sure on recovery procedures with these new Asrock motherboards if the flash goes bad.

Thanks,
    Dave

EDIT: I just realized the RW report I obtained has a different md5 hash to the one the other guy posted. Would this be the reason the 2 slic'd bioses also have non-matching MD5 sums?

2. jabbawok

jabbawok MDL Novice

Mar 18, 2009
    So I found out that selecting the "Module" method of Phoenix Tool 1.85 gives me a bios with the same md5 sum as the one posted in the requests thread. But I'm a bit concerned with the comment in AndyP's thread on this method:

The requester said the modded bios worked perfectly. But the above scares me a bit. So can anyone tell me if I should use the Module or SSV2 method? Both say they are successful.

3. Danmyd

Danmyd MDL Novice

Jun 6, 2009
    WIth Andy's Phoenix Tool 1.90 I Slic 2.1 modded Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 EFI BIOS v.1.0 by "Module" method.
    Used Instant Flash and USB pen drive. Works perfectly.
    Phoenix Tool Beta v1.91b2 gives error with above BIOS when using “Module” method, but 1.90 is fine.

4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    I would check if there is any recovery method at all because in older ASRock bioses recovery was removed to save space.

5. coldkiss

coldkiss MDL Novice

Jun 17, 2008
    Hi, Danmyd,

I see that you modded a v1.0 bios for the Asrock z68 Extreme4 Gen3 motherboard. I Wonder if you would post a copy of it as I'm getting that board tomorrow and would like to try it?

BTW, How are you finding this board? Ran into any quirks yet?

Like Jabbawok, I want to eventually learn to do the bios mods myself and have similar concerns about recovery from a failed flash. Does anyone know, as urie points out, if indeed there is any recovery method at all in these newer Asrock EFI bioses? I found a quote from Asrock's Tech Support Dept however it concerns a question about recovery for boards with an AMI bios:

"The AMIBOOT.ROM method is disabled in ASRock BIOS. Due to the space limitation of EEPROM , we do not support this function. So far, there is no way to recover a bad flash on our mainboards."