question regarding Firefox x64 Edition

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by ammarman, Aug 3, 2009.

1. vantj

vantj MDL Novice

Aug 9, 2009
    'In some sense it is "fake" FF' does that means in some sense it is not fake FF?
    Please make up your mind whether it is fake or not!

Although off topic, I follow with interest whether unofficial work can be called fake!!

2. RawData

RawData MDL Member

Mar 4, 2008
    What makes you think I've not made up my mind already?
    I tried to explain why it's not always so clear if something is fake or authentic.

In sense that it (hopefully) uses the real FF code, it's not fake... but just possible use of code from original does not make it authentic, either.
    Does that answer your question? :p

IOW, You don't get the original product made and approved by original author(s). In that sense. If you're downloading Firefox, it's reasonable to assume it's from Mozilla. If not, it's not really the "authentic" Mozilla Firefox.

Nice thing is, "Help/About" screen shown in this thread clearly indicates that the name "Shiretoko" instead of "Firefox" is used, so not so much misleading there. :cool:

Still, original author of this thread was searching FF and found Shiretoko instead. His(?) questions did get answers from others, but some people apparently got offended by "is this the real firefox x64 or it is fake ??" question. Notice the word "real" in the question! Obviously he tried to find out if the software was official Mozilla Firefox. Which it is not.

Sorry for long winded explanation, but using foreign language, etc. :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. vantj

vantj MDL Novice

Aug 9, 2009
    The off-topic question is 'Is Firefox x64 (Shiretoko) a fake or not?'

I know Shiretoko is not from Mozilla and I know it is an 'unofficial' x64 complilation release of Firefox v3.5. No one has claimed it to be an 'authentic' release by Mozilla.

In your first response, you said 'in some sense, it is fake'. I wonder in which sense you consider it to be fake?

In the second response, you claimed it is 'not fake' but added the word 'unauthentic'. Again, no one claimed Shiretoko is an authentic product from Mozilla. There has never been a question on that. Now that your claim of 'not fake' have really confused me more. Is it 'fake' or 'not fake'! And, I wonder again in which sense you consider it being 'not fake'? What are the differences in your senses that can make two contradicting conclusions.

I wonder how a produce can be 'fake' and 'not fake' at the same time! (Which seems to be what you are trying to justify.)

So, to re-phrase the question - Is the 'unauthentic' 'unoffcial' Firefox x64 a fake Firefox or not?

4. vantj

vantj MDL Novice

Aug 9, 2009
    The second last line should be read as :

I wonder how a product can be 'fake' and 'not fake' at the same time!

5. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Only if it is "partially" fake...

sebus