Question regarding modded bios

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by markedbyalantattoos, Mar 20, 2012.

1. markedbyalantattoos

markedbyalantattoos MDL Novice

Jul 24, 2009
    I have a dell xps that i had modded with dells 2.1 slic. Now my question. Is there a way to back up the entire bios including this slic table so that if i get another Dell i can just use the same bios and update it that way?

2. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    Likely not. For your scheme to succeed, the new dell must be compatible with the original bios that you modded otherwise the machine may turn into a paperweight. Second, if its a phoenix bios, it cant be flashed with a backup because the platform data isnt backed up.

If hard modding worries/scares you, just use Daz loader.

In any case, if you get a new dell now, it should already have a win7 compatible bios.

3. markedbyalantattoos

Jul 24, 2009
    Hey venu. Thanks for the reply. I think i worded that wrong. The dell i have came with vista. I changed the slic to win 7. What i meant to ask was if i got the same exact computer was there a program that i could use to save the bios i have on this one and just update the bios of the second one. Both would be same computers i know using this bios on anything else would make me a toaster oven creator.

4. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    Hey there. How did you change the slic to 2.1? Did you flash with a modded bios? If yes, then just use the same to flash the other computer. OTOH, if you used something like daz's loader to load slic 2.1 table into memory, then thats just a soft mod.

5. markedbyalantattoos

Jul 24, 2009
    Someone on here gave me the link to the already modded bios so it was done for me.

6. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  7. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    Good. So you already have the modded bios I guess? If yes, you can reuse it. If not, then you need to check if its a phoenix bios because those are not backup-able for flashing purposes. If you really dont have a copy of the modded one, you should check in the mod bios rep here at MDL, if its not there just request for one and one of the smart chaps here will do it for you. If I were in your place, I'd be more comfortable with that instead of relying on a backup that may or may not work.