Questions about Microsoft Office

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by pcuser, Dec 3, 2008.

1. pcuser

pcuser MDL Novice

Nov 30, 2008
    Hi you all, this is my first post to the forum. I would like to express some queries that I have about Microsoft Office 2007.
    To begin with, I would like to know the reason why the Microsoft Office 2007 Enterprise trial that one can download from Microsoft is only approximately 500 MB, while the product distribution media is a DVD, which means that the size of the download should be bigger than what can fit on a CD. I assume that the suite on Microsoft’s site is compressed or lacks some programs. I read that the version of Office Enterprise available through MSDN does not include the deployment tools or Office Customization tool. I do not know if these tools are programs and if the edition that can be found in Microsoft Download Center has these things. If not, I would like you to provide me with a download link that offers the Enterprise Greek Edition Trial or the Ultimate Greek Edition Trial, which I cannot find on the Internet. It would be preferable if I tried both versions before I decide for which one to replace the Office XP I have on my desktop.
    Moreover, I have read that Portable Editions of Office 2007 exist. I would like someone to tell me if these versions can be used in any PC that fulfills the hardware and software requirements or if they are only for portable devices, such as laptops. Also, in what way(s) they are inferior or superior to the regular editions, if they are different than them.
    In addition, I would like to be informed of what Office 2007 Language Packs do and, specifically, if they change the language of the menus or just provide a grammar and spell checker for languages.
    Furthermore, my father, who works in a university, has been given a laptop as a gift, he and his colleagues. That computer came with Windows Vista Home Premium and an edition of Office 2007 preinstalled. However, I cannot tell what edition that is, since it only appears in the Programs section of Control Panel as 2007 Microsoft Office system. That is also the value of the ProductName entry of the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Registration\{91120000-0031-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE} subkey and I am unable to find an About option in that Office. Therefore, I would like to know what edition is the Office that is installed in my father’s laptop. It should be noted that my father was given no CD/DVD for Vista or Office and I do not know if he should have been provided with either one or both of them or not. Moreover, I tried to hack the trial edition that was installed in the laptop and it know writes when I open a word file [Compatibility mode] - Microsoft Word. I can now write, while I could not do before I applied the method I read in your site, since the trial period of two months had passed from the very first moment I opened the computer and so I did not get a chance to use the version that was installed in the computer. However, thanks to your site I am now able to try the program, a help for which I cannot stress how grateful I am. That said, I would like to learn what this compatibility mode is and if it affects any of the options or eliminates some of them, in which case I would like to be informed of what I can do to make the program fully functional.
    Lastly, I would like to thank you in advance for the time you spent reading this post and apologize for its length.

2. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    #2 HMonk, Dec 4, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. pcuser

pcuser MDL Novice

Nov 30, 2008
    Questions remain

Hello and thank you for your reply. I did some search which made me find that the Microsoft Office 2007 Enterprise edition existing in the links you have provided is around 500 MB, the size of a CD not filled with information, while the product distribution media is a DVD, as I have written in my first post. Logically, Microsoft would not use a DVD for a program, when it could fit on a CD. Therefore I assume the Office 2007 Enterprise in Microsoft’s site is compressed and I do not wish to download it if so.
    About the other part of your answer, I followed your instructions and what I saw was “Microsoft Office Word 2007 (12.0.6311.5000) SP1 MSO (12.0.6320.5000) Part of 2007 Microsoft Office system” and under Product ID it had nothing. Incidentally, they did a very good job hiding this option. I did some search before posting for the first time and read what programs each Office 2007 edition has and my version was identical to no other.
    Consequently, all of my questions remain.

4. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Slappy

Slappy MDL Junior Member

Aug 12, 2008
    The main advantage of Office 2007 Enterprise is the availability of two additional programs for collaborative efforts. MS makes the following comments about the difference between Professional Plus and Enterprise:

Office Enterprise 2007

Office Enterprise 2007 is the most complete Microsoft solution for people who must collaborate with others and work with information efficiently, regardless of location or network status. Office Enterprise 2007 builds on the strengths of Office Professional Plus 2007 and provides two additional tools: Microsoft Office Groove 2007 and Microsoft Office OneNote 2007.

With these tools, users can collaborate and efficiently gather, store, organize, find, and share any type of information. Office Groove 2007 provides a rich and more secure collaboration environment for teams to work together, regardless of location, with minimal IT support. Office OneNote 2007 provides complete information management capabilities for virtually any type of content, so teams can deliver better results faster.

Maybe pcuser needs to "collaborate" or maybe he just wants the top of the line. ;)

Regards,

6. pcuser

pcuser MDL Novice

Nov 30, 2008
    Hello and thank you for your answers. Mr. Monk, you do not have to do any search for the size problem. Believe me you will not find anything, as I have searched quite a lot to no avail. I was hoping that some of the people in the forum would have downloaded the Microsoft Office 2007 Enterprise trial and own the original DVD and care to tell me the differences.
    About Language Packs, I know what information exists in Wikipedia. The thing is I have read that Language Packs do not make the menus appear in a desired language, while Wikipedia says the opposite. However, from time to time, I see information written in Wikipedia being changed, so it is best to not blindly accept whatever it says.
    About compatibility mode, I know what it is in computer games, I just did not know that it could be used in programs as well. Telling me it is the same as in games would suffice.
    About the version of Office 2007 that I want, this is either Enterprise or Ultimate, not just Enterprise, because I currently have in my desktop Office XP Professional with FrontPage, the second best edition, since it lacks only one of the available 2002 programs in all suites, and would like a similarly good or better proportionally than the one I possess. The ones I mentioned are adequately satisfactory.

7. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Treading lightly

Slappy,

My question issued from my knowledge of the components and capabilities of Enterprise, which I was contrasting with the inferred capabilities of the user. Albeit subjective, there seems to me to an ambiguous nexus between the two.

Monk

8. honey163

honey163 MDL Novice

Oct 31, 2010
    office 2007 security

how to enable password protection on word 2007 documents

9. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Office 2007 Enterprise is a DVD of 559 MB actually. So it can theoretically fit on a CD too. On technet, it is written as DVD, even though I have not tried on a CD or even on a DVD (use office 2010).
    Other versions on technet are specified as CD and sizes are Pro Plus (493 MB), Pro (437 MB), Standard (337 MB), Ultimate (532 MB).