Questions about System Reserved 100MB ???

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by cuncon, Sep 22, 2009.

1. cuncon

cuncon MDL Junior Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Hi All,

Does anyone know what exactly the main points of System Reserved 100MB in Windows 7 after partition are ???

Thanks to all your info in advance.

2. armada

armada MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2007
    been discused many times here before its for the system files.. it makes a separate partition for the mbr etc...you dont need it and can use diskpart to get rid of it before a install

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. SharkCB

SharkCB MDL Novice

Jul 1, 2007
    Hi.
    This is stand alone partition for bootmanager. This hasn't meaning, if Win7 is your only system, but it's advantage for multiboot configuration. With stand alone boot partition you can full separate more operating systems.
    E.g. you heave two disks (or partitions) and two operating system - WinXP and Win7 and you boot from Win7 partition both systems. When you boot WinXP, XP must see boot partition and partition where are installed (system partition) - in this case they aren't same! After boot you will see in XP both partitions mapped and accesible (in addition all Win7 restore points are invalidated by XP). That's, why i always created stand alone boot partition with linux grub and booted both systems from grub. With Win7 standalone boot partition i need no more install grub, because Win7 bootmanager has same functions as grub and is too in stand alone partition (you can configure this bootmanager via bcdedit command). Attention! You need copy XP boot files (ntldr, boot.ini and ntdetect.com) into this "System Reserved" partition (this is boot partition), not into Win7 partition. You needn't have Win7 partition visible from XP and your Win7 restore points will remain untouched.
    I have now 3 OS (XP, Vista x64 and Win7) on 3 disks. They are booted with Win7 bootmanager and all systems are fully separated.