Questions about Windows 10 "Spy Blocking"

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Murdock80, Nov 12, 2015.

1. nosense

nosense MDL Senior Member

Sep 9, 2013
    #41 nosense, Nov 13, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
    Easy....They use software like Vista (Im not sure if they moved to another MHR\EHR software), which is nation wide database and made standard for VA's using EMR that is connected to a database.
    Simple, a location(server\host). That contains web pages.

2. Murdock80

Murdock80 MDL Novice

Jul 3, 2015
    Even though it certainly wasn't my intention to fire up another general discussion about privacy- I thank you for all the answers and feedback.

Almost everything I wanted to know has been answered, especially with the release of the new Build and the clarification of the privacy settings and their behaviour.

Still, another n00bish thing remains that I'd really like to get into:

How exactly would someone here who knows what he/she's doing would go about sniffing own traffic and identifying processes that might be collecting and sending data involuntarily? I know my way around Wireshark, Netmon, etc but I'm certainly no expert. And again: I don't want an anti-paranoid guide, I'm interested in the technical background and would like to learn a bit more about it.

Maybe someone is willing to share some knowledge or point me to a corresponding tutorial, I'd reall appreciate that.

3. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Nope. Fiddler is a network traffic analyzing tool (like Ethereal/Wireshark), not a blocker. It can be used to check for data leaks after applying blocking (via router or a tool like Peerblock).

4. night3

night3 MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2014

Thanks! That makes a lot of sense.

So after having blocked those addresses in the router, is it still worth getting windows tweaker 4 specifically for its privacy tweaks?

5. mrbbq

mrbbq MDL Addicted

Jul 18, 2015
    As I said - try using facts and evidence to back up your claims, rather than just insulting me because you can't do so.
    I have no idea how to even address most of what you wrote. When it comes to this topic there isn't much to know if you have a brain. I'll even write up a quick primer in just six easy to understand words.
    #hownetworkingworks

For the sake of a simple experiment, lets say there was a process called Spying.exe. Following so far? Great!

Spying.exe wishes to go online and send out data. Or get data from somewhere. So far so simple, right?

We go into Windows Firewall Control. We block Spying.exe from being allowed to connect to the internet, so that no traffic can leave the PC from it, or get to the process from somewhere. Still with me? AMAZING!:worthy:

Now - explain how this does not stop data leaving the PC, or getting to the PC.
    Take your time if you need to.

6. Carlos Detweiller

Dec 21, 2012
    #49 Carlos Detweiller, Nov 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Switching off those services will save a little CPU% and memory (from trying to send over and over). Your choice to apply the tweaks or not. It won't block any more the router does*.

*Warning: The Teredo service running by default in Windows can bypass the router and any security if the router doesn't specifically block Teredo packets! Teredo can be switched off using

Code:
    netsh int teredo set state type=disabled
    in an Admin-powered command shell.

7. night3

night3 MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2014
    #50 night3, Nov 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    How do I know if my router is able to block teredo packets? Its an asus n66u.

Is that something that most routers set to block by default?

8. Carlos Detweiller

Dec 21, 2012
    If you don't know if the router blocks Teredo just switch it off using the command I posted.