Questions regarding Mac OS X updates

Discussion in 'macOS' started by girish1026, Feb 10, 2011.

1. girish1026

girish1026 MDL Novice

Nov 18, 2009
    Hi to all. Just recently my brother MAC laptop. The installed OS in laptop is Mac OS X Snow Leopard. Till now i am not familiar with MAC OS installation and usage. Of-course i searched Google and i got some information. But i have a few questions.

1. Now i am trying to install Mac OS X again. I searched in Apple website for any available updates for Mac OS X Snow Leopard. I saw there is an important update available. But it is available in two variants. One is Mac OS X v10.6.6 Update (Size 143.59 MB) and the other is Mac OS X v10.6.6 Update Combo (Siz is 1.06 GB) I go through detailed description about these two updates. But i am not able to find exact difference between them. Both contains incremental updates and nearly same in description. But why one in above 1 GB in size and one is 143 MB. Which one i need to download?

2. Is there a way to integrate this update to Mac OS X Snow Leopard installation and create a Mac OS X installation DVD which contains both OS and update. Just like Win 7 with SP1. If so, how the method would be?

3. Is there a tool available to customize the installation of Mac OS X Snow Leopard. Just like RT 7 Lite, which is available to customize Win 7 installation image.

Please let me know answers for the above mentioned questions if possible. I already searched in Google but i am not able to find proper information.

Thanks

2. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    "Is there a way to integrate this update to Mac OS X Snow Leopard installation and create a Mac OS X installation DVD which contains both OS and update. Just like Win 7 with SP1. If so, how the method would be?"

Yeah - you get the DVD from Apple for a relatively small fee - the main area where they beat M$ - upgrading OS versions - a few $ for Apple - s**tloads for M$.

No other way I know of.

No tools that I know of like RT 7 Lite

You just let Software Update download updates for you - it picks what is needed and you end up with the latest system - mine downloaded the 1.06 GB updates - this updates the system to Snow Leopard 10.6.6 and all the other programs as well - the difference between the 143 MB - system only and 1.06 GB all programs

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...