Quick & easy question (OEM Bios and Vista)

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by teknomedic, Oct 23, 2008.

1. teknomedic

teknomedic MDL Member

May 5, 2007
    I have a Gateway laptop that came installed with Vista x64 Home Premium...

If I reinstall Vista... can I assume I already have the correct BIOS for installing Ultimate? ((assuming I have access to the gateway cert and ultimate key of course)).... or would I be stuck with Home Premium due to a limited slic table in the BIOS?

Thanks.

2. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Hi teknomedic,

You will be fine. Assuming you can "find" an Ultimate SLP key :D

The SLIC table in your BIOS is linked to the "Gateway" Cert. and will work with all Vista and Server2008 versions, as long as you have a correct key for the version your installing. :)

If you are still alittle worried find and save the Cert. form your Gateway and use that when you install Ultimate. That way you know you have the right Cert. for your Bios. ;)

3. teknomedic

teknomedic MDL Member

May 5, 2007
    thanks for the reply... where is the cert saved on the HDD?.... I checked the root C: but didn't see it. (I have "view hidden files, etc" checked) ;)

thanks again!

4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Just a hint C:\Windows\System32\OEM you wil find certificate there that's as far as i can explain at the moment to many beers:)hopefully some one else will pick up your thread. :):)

5. teknomedic

teknomedic MDL Member

May 5, 2007
    I don't have an OEM folder... hmmm...

I did a search for *xrm-ms files... and I found around 300 of them, lol... so if anyone could tell me what the full file name of an original gateway cert is that would be helpful. ;)

6. petar

petar MDL Expert

Apr 5, 2008
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. teknomedic

teknomedic MDL Member

May 5, 2007
    wow... thanks! I had tried to get a similar version to that but all the links I could find were dead.

I see that there are also .bin files... what are those used for in this process? I had only used the xrm-ms files previously.

8. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    The bin files are used for adding slic to bios you shouldn't need to mod your bios if slic is allready present