Quick Question

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Reign_Of_Freedom, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Reign_Of_Freedom

Reign_Of_Freedom MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2009
    I have my pc triple booted on one HD with win Xp showing as system on the HD.
    Now my question is if i wanted to completely remove Win Xp and just leave Win 7 x64 and x86 how would i go about that and having either Win7 showing as system and not logical? I have Xp as C:, Win7 X64 as E:, and x86 as F:. If anyone can tell me the proper procedure that would be great.

2. Reign_Of_Freedom

Aug 1, 2009
    Can anyone point me in the right direction? :)

3. Bloodbat

Bloodbat MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    You'll probably have to backup and redo all partitions, unless you want to reuse the XP partition, if so reinstall whatever version of Win 7 you want to appear as system there...the extended or logical information is written to the partition table...it's not an OS issue.

Bloodbat

4. Reign_Of_Freedom

Aug 1, 2009
    Gotcha, was not sure if there was a proper procedure if i were to reuse that C: partition. Was really worried about how the MBR would react if i were to format XP and install Win 7 on that partition.

5. FuzzyMaster

FuzzyMaster MDL Member

Jun 21, 2007
  6. PrEzi

PrEzi MDL Addicted

Aug 23, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009
    #7 HotCarl, Aug 7, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
    I like Paragon Partition Manager myself. Even works with Windows 7...

8. Reign_Of_Freedom

Aug 1, 2009
    Something i'll proly do in a month or 2 just wanted to get an idea of what i would be in for before i jumped in the frying pan. Also i'll give Acronis Disc Director Suite a shot see how well it works. Thanks for everyone's input.

9. weinter

weinter MDL Senior Member

Feb 19, 2009
    If you are using Windows 7 Boot Manager
    You can use BCDedit to remove the Windows Xp boot entry
    Command Prompt (Admin Permission)

BCDEDIT will show all boot entries
    Type BCDEDIT /? to show all command and remove the relevant entries using the corresponding commands then go Admin Tools >> Disk manager to destroy the xp partition and reclaim it as freespace.

10. Reign_Of_Freedom

Aug 1, 2009
    Now if i go that route will the next Partition space be auto renamed to C:? or will it just stay as it was but have just the 2 options remaining Win7 x64 + win7 x86. Just have heard stories about others trying and getting stuck or it won't load into windows 7.

11. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009
    #11 HotCarl, Aug 7, 2009
    Be careful, I have had problems with Acronis Disk Director before. The last time I used it, it nuked my Windows XP install when I was trying to re-size a partition, so I just said screw it and reformatted into 1 partition and installed Windows 7. Backup everything you cannot afford to lose first, before you mess around! Lucky me I have a few external USB HD's.

12. moonburn

moonburn MDL Member

Jul 27, 2009
    I agree ^^ Had some major issues too. Reformatting is the best option, if you're willing to perform that action.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. weinter

Feb 19, 2009
    #13 weinter, Aug 7, 2009
    No it won't be C:\
    Windows will always recognize the current installation you have booted up to as C:\.
    The other partition are label relative to the partition you have boot up on.

14. Reign_Of_Freedom

Aug 1, 2009
    #14 Reign_Of_Freedom, Aug 7, 2009
    (OP)
    So, after Xp is nuked the next partition in this case I:\ will be recognized as C:\ but without it being renamed, did i understand that properly?

15. weinter

Feb 19, 2009
    #15 weinter, Aug 7, 2009
    For example your Xp is located in front of the Win7 x86 and Win7 x64
    and you are on Win7 x86 therefore Win 7 x64 will be E:\ and Xp will be D:\
    when you nuke Xp and you boot on Win7 x86 you will still get a new partition as F:\ or D:\ but you can relabel them in disk manager by setting it to recognise it as D:\ because it is unused and available.
    The point is drive letters are dynamic and allocated according to availability it has nothing to do with boot sequence hence it is safe.

16. Reign_Of_Freedom

Aug 1, 2009
    Alright i got it made more sense, thanks for clearing that up.

17. weinter

Feb 19, 2009
    I forgot to mention since the boot manager is installed on a Windows 7 partition the only partition you cannot destroy is the partition which holds the boot manager.

18. Reign_Of_Freedom

Aug 1, 2009
    Yep got it, i assumed as much thanks again.

19. Bloodbat

Bloodbat MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    If you manage to do that...there's a big chance Windows will barf on itself...
    Vista and 7 both label their disks as "C:" even though it might or might not be C: on the partition table, what I understood from your question was that you no longer wanted them to be extended partitions...not that you wanted them both labeled as "C" when you boot the OS, which, BTW should be done automagically in most cases....
    Disk manager won't let you relabel them (really..try it...if the swap file lives there, disk manager will most likely give you the finger, that holds true for boot managers too...even if it's not the swap file or manager for the current active OS...I tried doing that to an XP drive letter from Vista...no dice)

Good luck

Bloodbat