RAM Question

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by whwebsolutions, Aug 29, 2015.

1. whwebsolutions

whwebsolutions MDL Junior Member

Jun 1, 2015
    Hello all,

I have a Gigabyte GA-H61M-S2P which can hold up to 16 gigs of ram. I am running Windows 10 Pro 64x with 8 gigs. I was wondering, would upgrading to the full 16 gigs of RAM make any difference or no?

2. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    To running Windows, I would say you would see no difference.

But if your into Photoshop or After Effects or other software like those I would say it may be better to upgrade. Those apps are RAM hungry.

Its not one thing which makes things better.
    Its when you combine all the things and make them all better is when you really notice.

Just wondering what CPU you have and GPU also.

3. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Also, if You are using music apps (VSTs, Samplers, etc.) All 16 gb would help.

tnx is right. Consider getting a SSD and using it as your primary drive. You should notice a major increase in performance.

:MJ

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. cocachris89

cocachris89 MDL Senior Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Think of ram as desk space; the more you have the more applications, programs etc. you can run at once.

Is 16GB necessary?

If your running photoshop, virtual machines, games etc. all at once, then yes.

5. Mighty_Miro_WD

Mighty_Miro_WD Official WD Representative

Jul 30, 2014
    Hi there.

IMO It depends on what are you using the PC for and how much the game(s)/application(s) you use actually demand and use.

For instance, if you are doing web browsing and video games, then 4GB is sometimes not quite enough, and 8GB is plenty. However, if you are doing a lot of multi-tasking, or light to moderate content production then 8GB may not quite be enough, but 16GB is generally plenty. So if you're going for demanding applications, upgrade and you'll see a lot of performance difference.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Cheers! :)