Random Freezes in Anniversary Update

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by getsuga369, Aug 3, 2016.

1. jeff69dini

jeff69dini MDL Expert

Nov 22, 2008
    no, I said also see for reference, the in built ms storage controller is causing freezing for all types drives in 14393! this did not exist on 10586

2. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Did you even read the OP before replying to my post? Seriously!

3. alexander3133

alexander3133 MDL Novice

Jul 24, 2009
    I have Lenovo Flex2-14 laptop with WD mechanical hard disk.
    At first I was experiencing hang during upgrade from 10586 to 10393.0, hang at around 30% progress.
    I thought the hang from upgrade was because of previous installation, so I tried clean install instead.
    Apparently clean install does not help much too, I was getting hang during installation also, but I managed to get the installation done after few times tried with altering some BIOS settings.
    After clean installation was done, the random hang happened, tried disabling wireless, discrete graphics and disabled secure boot does not help.
    Apparently in safe mode, the random hang does not happen, so I suspected maybe it is due to driver or interrupt storm.
    After I managed to get all my drivers installed, which took me more than 10x restart due to the random hang, the random hang issue went away.
    I am now on 10393.10 happily.

4. getsuga369

getsuga369 MDL Junior Member

Apr 14, 2015

Like I said for example Chrome, Mozilla etc., so it isn't limited to browsers whatever be the programs opened they were subjected to a an intermittent freeze for 1-2 mins. My led indicator remains on when that happens and after that it goes back to normal state.

5. VahidN

VahidN MDL Novice

Jul 20, 2015
    unfortunately it's a known bug in Windows 10, from its inception:
    tenforums.com/general-support/12074-windows-10-freezes-randomly.html

6. Dark Knight

Dark Knight MDL Senior Member

Jul 14, 2013
    :biggrin: No, but I read these posts that this is not working right and that is not working right, but I am also reading that people are doing the update then piling on all this third party software then when something goes wrong it's automatically Microsoft's fault. Everyone thinks that Microsoft should make an OS compatible with all third party software when actually it is the other way around.

Do the update whether through Windows update or a clean install, personally I recommend the clean install, then use the OS "as is" for a couple of days to see if there are any OS or hardware bugs, if not then gradually add your third party software, this way if something goes south you know what it is. I did the clean install and I am experiencing nothing I am reading here, no slow downs, no hardware conflicts and no software conflicts.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. getsuga369

getsuga369 MDL Junior Member

Apr 14, 2015
    #28 getsuga369, Aug 4, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
    (OP)
    Come again...did you read my post. I said I even clean installed and also I already knew of this bug since last 2-3 insider builds and it was even mentioned in the feedback suggestion app. Its entirely MS fault that it messed the AU for some SSD users as well as SHDD users. What's the use of Insider builds if it didn't fix the bugs reported. Just read the Reddit thread and get some clarity. BTW what do you mean by third party software, did I ever mention in the post?

Luckily as instructed by the user jeff69dini I managed to resolve this problem.

8. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

What if your pediatrics doctor would suggest to kill your baby and make another one, instead of providing a cure? ;)

9. excalibur2

excalibur2 MDL Senior Member

Aug 1, 2015
    Well firefox has been freezing, but they have just bought out an update, so will see what happens.

10. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    ;)

A further prof that clean install is stupid while understanding and fixing things is the right way to go.

11. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    I am glad you finally sorted it out on your own. Doing clean install followed with installing your system vendor drivers is often the best solution. I always recommend installing the chipset first.

12. Dark Knight

Dark Knight MDL Senior Member

Jul 14, 2013
    There is no reason to be an ass about it, your comparison is not even a good one.

Do what you want, I gave you a good feasible, realistic way to find out what may be happening and it still is Microsoft's fault in your mind.

Like I said, I am experiencing none of this, those that are it's either a hardware problem, driver problem or a third party software problem, it's not the OS.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

It's exactly the same thing. But likely you don care enough about your time and your data to realize that.

Indeed. What I wan't is to employ my time to learn something, which in turn leads to not waste my time, the next problem I face.

Is not given that If your'e lucky other people are as well. The problem faced by the OP was clearly an OS problem, given he was using the bundled drivers.

So what's your point?:g:

14. colsearle

colsearle MDL Novice

Nov 17, 2015
    #36 colsearle, Aug 7, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
    On the 5th I delivered a PC that I had refurbished running a clean install 1607 on a PNY CS1311 ssd.

The machine hung randomly with the ssd maxing out and I blamed the PNY as it was the first time I have used the brand. I changed it out for a Sandisk Ultra II and for the brief time I tested it appeared to resolve the issue. i would have tested for a longer period of time but the customer had already put up with me chanting " That's not right " for a couple of hours.

The internet is rife with the Anniversary freezing issue. I'm surprised it's so quiet here.