Random freezing (possible cure)

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by rasputinuk, Nov 10, 2009.

1. rasputinuk

rasputinuk MDL Member

May 21, 2007
    Hi,

I had a problem with Win 7 randomly freezing/locking up. This would occur within a few seconds of starting the computer or upto several hours. Somtimes a re-boot would fix it, but at other times leaving the system off few an hour or so will do the trick.

Went through all the usual motions to find a cure. i.e testing the hard drive, checking for viruses, testing memory. checking for overheating problems ect.
    reformatted and installing not only win 7 but vista and XP. I was just about to give up and throw the whole lot into the bin and take up knitting for a hobby.

when I decided to re-flash the bios yet again. after re-booting the problem was still there. then I remembered I hav'nt reset the CMOS, then like an idiot I lost the jumper header (I put it down to being late at night) I found a replacement header and installed it. and !!EUREKA!! it works......No more random freezing and it seems to have a few odd faults I had on the system. I suppose if I sat there and thought, I would have relised that vibrations caused by the fans changing gear and high DVD/CD drive accesses caused the freezing....

So I hope this explination helps others with the same problem.....:D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. pkaji123

pkaji123 MDL Addicted

Aug 22, 2009
    Yeh!! I Too Had the Same Problem...

But it Was Due to My Modem Driver Which Was Designed for Vista....
    Then I Uninstalled It And Installed the XP Version Of Driver,And Now all Works fine....

Thank U For this,Some May Get Benefit Of it...

3. santoshcoolhere

santoshcoolhere MDL Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Two solutions :
    1.Update your Windows Experience Index Score
    2.Goto Control Panel->Power Options->Balanced->Change Plan Settings

4. rasputinuk

rasputinuk MDL Member

May 21, 2007
    It goes to prove, that the obvious solutions to the problem do not always cure it. I mean who'ed think that a simple jumper header could go faulty, I certainly did'nt it was just a sheer fluke (moment of inspiration :rolleyes:) on my part...:)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. dragonfire665

dragonfire665 MDL Senior Member

Sep 17, 2008
    wow that was one problem. True a simple eye check or methods would fix the problem. Heck i would have never though it would have been the jumper, but now i have another thing to look upon if i ever come across that problem. thanks bro

6. MrFerretKing

MrFerretKing MDL Member

Aug 25, 2009

What problem was one of your "solutions" supposed to help. What would no. 1 fix?

7. rasputinuk

rasputinuk MDL Member

May 21, 2007
    #7 rasputinuk, Nov 10, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
    (OP)
    No problem, glad to share.
    Curiously, it not only cured my freezing problem but also problems I had with the ACPI not waking up the system (Many times during the early hours my system would cry out "System error, CPU failure" and it would carry on until I reset it).....and my USB ports gave problems i.e port 0 would work port 1 not & port 2 work port 3 not. Anyway my system has been up for 24 hours without a glitch. So this is one fault for the books
    PC-DL Deluxe
    Dual Zeon 2.66Ghz H.T Enabled
    2Gig PC133 DDR Dual channel
    512Meg Sapphire HD3650 AGP Graphics
    200Gig Seagate SATA HD
    Dual LG CD/DVD DL Rewriters SATA

8. d3l1

d3l1 MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    My computer just freezes from time to time, but I had the issue with vista, too. So I think I have pinned it down to either Nforce or Setpoint. one of them seems to the one to blame, will try without them next time I reinstall.