Re-adding native Edge to Windows 10 - possible after the latest Cumulative Update?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by JeanYuhs, Aug 12, 2019.

1. JeanYuhs

JeanYuhs MDL Member

Feb 16, 2010
    #1 JeanYuhs, Aug 12, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    Well if I had known it was gonna completely strip the native Edge out I wouldn't have installed the damned update but I did and I suppose there's no real turning back now. I of course did attempt to force install Edge using the files that most people have used in the past to add Edge to the LTSB/LTSC versions but they won't install (says it's just for build 17763).

So now the question is: can native Edge be added to the current builds or is that really it? I actually did like it on several fronts, including as an ePub reader so I'm somewhat pissed at it being removed so quickly considering that "Edgium" is far far from being a completed project.

It's really a yes or no question I guess...

Or did the latest Canary 245 build remove it... hrmmm...

EDIT:
    Did some further research and discovered it's still there so to speak in the following folder on my machine:

C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe

But when I attempt to execute the MicrosoftEdge.exe application itself it does nothing. However, executing it with the following:

%windir%\explorer.exe shell:Appsfolder\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe!MicrosoftEdge

brings it back, how odd. Guess I'll make a shortcut to that and see how it goes.

2. boyonthebus

boyonthebus MDL Expert

Sep 16, 2018
    You need to install the Edge for your build. AFAIK Edge is included in all the builds except of course for LTSC/B. If you need to add in edge you need the cab files (including Language) which you can obtain from MSMG's toolkit in the Packs directory.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...