Recording from an analogue source such as cassette

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by pooksahib, Jan 30, 2010.

1. pooksahib

pooksahib MDL Junior Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Have any users of Win7 RTM 64-bit been able to record, say, an LP record or cassette tape as a digital file? If so, I'd like to know how you did it, what software you used, cables, sockets, settings etc.

My initial research suggested that this would be easy but far from it. I've been trying to record some audio from a portable cassette player which I've connected to the PC with 3.5mm jack cable - one end to headphone socket of cassette, other end to line-in (blue) socket at rear of PC (have also tried the microphone (pink) socket). None of the recording software I've tried - Audacity, Arial, VinylStudio - registers any sound levels when I record.

According to Control Panel/Sound, I have one recording device called Aux (High Definition Audio Device). The manufacturer of it is Microsoft. I am showing all disabled and disconnected devices so there's nothing else there.

Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. whitehat2009

whitehat2009 MDL Member

Aug 1, 2009
    From what you've said it looks like an issue with your sound drivers instead of any particular recording program. What motherboard/sound card do you have? Do you have the drivers installed? How many recording devices do you have? There should be something like "Line In".

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. pooksahib

Aug 11, 2009
    #4 pooksahib, Jan 31, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
    (OP)
    Thanks to you all. Whitehat2009 - my motherboard is an Asus and the sound card (sound device?) is the Aux device referred to in my opening post.

Phazor, I've already been to the site you've linked to (as you say, bloody slow). Originally, the driver of my Aux recording device was Microsoft, Driver Date: 13.7.9. Even after installing a Realtek driver (I selected 'Vista_Win7_R241_x64') the Microsoft driver was still the one being shown in Properties. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the Realtek driver but still no change, nothing like 'stereomix' appears in the list of recording devices and the 'properties' of my one recording device still shows the Microsoft driver.

As regards on board codecs, is there a way of checking what i have?

Where do I find the 'Realtek Sound Control Panel'? And what is this newly installed Realtek driver actually doing if it hasn't affected my sound settings?

Thanks again.

5. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Thats extremely odd. Because normally this would mean that you do not have a Realtek codec. Otherwise it would be driven by the Realtek driver now. But on the other hand, if the codec is not Realtek then the driver should have refused to install with a 'No Realtek Devices Found' message. That is unless theyve changed that, but then why would they do that.

Anyhow, what we need to do now is find out exactly what codec you have. Further guessing makes little sense.

Yes. Google, download and run Everest. It will tell you all about your machines hardware in the 'Computer/Summary' section. Your sound device will be listed under 'Multimedia'.

As for question 1; the realtek control panel is automatically installed with the driver pack (if you downloaded the full pack) and it can be accessed via an icon in the systray (little red speaker) or its entry the system control panel. It will not function unless it actually detects a Realtek device though so the systray icon might not be there either. As for question 2; if the driver got installed even though you do not have a Realtek codec then it simply wont be used. It will be dormant like all the other drivers Windows stores on the drive; available when needed but not currently used by anything. In other words; its like youve added a new driver to the Windows driver-database. Not necessarily useful, but not bad either. Still if you dont need it you should uninstall it so the auto-starting Realtek control panel doesnt trigger a No Realtek Devices Found error on each boot...

6. pooksahib

Aug 11, 2009
    Thanks, Phazor - I appreciate the trouble you're taking. Right then, I've got Everest and underneath Computer/Summary/Multimedia is Audio Adapter which advises "Analog Devices AD1986A @ VIA VT8237A High Definition Audio Controller". Clicking that gives me options of 'Product Information', 'Driver Download' and 'Driver Update'. I've tried Driver Download and come to a page of the site telling me that AD1986A is now obsolete with "Possible Replacement: none".

Back with Everest, as well as Computer/Summary, there's more about Multimedia further down the list - Audio codecs, Video codecs etc. Do you need anything from that or have you enough to be going on with? Thanks again.

7. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    #7 Phazor, Jan 31, 2010
    AnalogDevices, (SoundMAX), excellent codec, got an old ASUS board with an AD myself.

Unfortunately the drivers for ADs are not so easy to come by as the Realteks since AD themselves dont offer any on their site.

But ive googled you something you can try. EDIT: Link removed - See post below.

If for some reason that package doesnt work for you try googling for "Analog Devices AD1986A Drivers 6.10.01.6600". This is what you need, so you just have to find one that works. :)

8. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
  9. greyaburton

greyaburton MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2009
    try running windows update to see if your audio device drivers is listed there.if it is select that to download and install.thats how i get mine.once downloaded and installed,reboot your computer.

10. pooksahib

Aug 11, 2009
    Phazor: "... could not be saved because the source file could not be read." I'll try one of the mirrors.
    greyaburton: thanks but my Windows is up to date.

11. pooksahib

Aug 11, 2009
    #11 pooksahib, Jan 31, 2010
    (OP)
    Well, the download succeeded but the installation failled. "The audio driver files do not support your computer hardware". Same story with the OpenDrivers version. Still, I really appreciate your efforts, Phazor. If you think of anything else, I'll give it a whirl.

12. kdo2milger

kdo2milger MDL Senior Member

Jan 5, 2010
    this might seem like a dumb question, but have you set "line-in" to default?

13. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
  14. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    #16 Phazor, Feb 1, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
    What mainboard we are talking about would have been my next question. (Exact type/model number.)

Because it is very odd that neither the driver from the codec manufacturer nor the driver from the chipset manufacturer works...

EDIT: What happens when you highlight the Aux entry and click Configure? Can you do anything there?

15. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Well what does it matter who gave you the solution, the important thing is that you can record! :)

Going to the ASUS homepage and finding a driver there would have been my next step (hence my asking for the model) but now that you already did it yourself lets just be glad that everythings fine now.

(Still it is odd that both of the other drivers didnt work. As you can see it says SoundMAX now, which IS the AnalogDevices device. But then again, who cares as long as it works now...) :)

16. kdo2milger

kdo2milger MDL Senior Member

Jan 5, 2010