Redirecting Folders (I guess?)

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Soiarn, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Soiarn

Soiarn MDL Junior Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Well...

Imagine this, you have a computer with both a SSD and a HDD. The SSD is quite small (which you has your OS installed) and your HDD is large (which it's supposed to be). Well, then you install a couple of programs, and some games on the HDD, all running fine. Then you install some certain games (like most EA games), which stores huge amounts of information in the "C:\Users\JohnDoe\Documents" folder.

So the problem is, there ain't enough space on the SSD, any ideas guys? There's no way to tell these certain games to store the save games and custom content on the HDD, it forces itself to save it on the SSD (the drive which the OS is installed on).

It might be possible to somehow make a shortcut that redirects anything saved to "C:\Users\JohnDoe\Documents" to "D:\Documents"?

What I usually do is that I change the libraries shortcuts all to my HDD, but I can't change where the custom content and save games are saved.

All suggestions are welcome below. Thank you in advance.
    PS: Probably didn't have to explain it this well, but... why not? xD

2. ExXxtr3me

ExXxtr3me MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2012
    Yes that´s possible, the easiest way is to use "Link Shell Extension", just set a start point("D:\Documents") and insert a junction point on C:\Users\JohnDoe\Documents".

3. Puremin0rez

Puremin0rez MDL Senior Member

Nov 24, 2010
    Welcome to the wonderful world of Junctions! I use them SO MUCH because almost every game needs to be put on my HDD.

Like the person said above me, Link Shell Extension is the best and easier user friendly way. It'll even put a little "chain" icon on the folders that are linked.

h t t p : / /schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/hardlinkshellext.html

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    just change the installation path from your ssd to your Hard drive

5. Antarell

Antarell MDL Novice

May 11, 2011
    #5 Antarell, Aug 17, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
    Why muck about with that? My setup is the same, all you do is open the two folders, your c:\users\name\ folder and the other where you want them to be. In my case my Skydrive folder on the HDD. Then you MOVE the folders (right click drag, select move) into the location you want them and windows does the rest, including updating your Libraries. See the attached pic for my setup.

2drives.jpg . (one you can see imgur.com/bBoEL)

When you move the folder Windows will ask if you want to move everything, say yes off course. The joy if this is you don't have to stress when you re-install Windows :)