ReFS Windows 8.1 failure

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by seehazy, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Enigma256

Enigma256 MDL Senior Member

Jan 17, 2011
    #21 Enigma256, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  2. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    I have thoroughly tested it, this registry value isn't consulted by any other Windows part than the formatting...
    ...so it can't have any other effect...

3. shot²

shot² MDL Junior Member

Feb 20, 2011
    can't have any other effect?

Well, looks like my Event Viewer / Action Center ain't aware of that fact :D

Anyway... my short post was not meant as a matter of criticism towards whoever publicized that registry trick. Just wanted to spare some time & sweat to anyone experiencing a similar mishap. Took me hours and a (clean, vanilla) reinstall to figure the link between the Event Log failure, disabled Action Center functions, and enabling a new filesystem format. Deem it weird, far from straightforward, illogical, blasphemy, unrelated or impossible as you please, won't keep my computer from positively disagreeing with you :)

4. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    #24 moderate, Nov 1, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
    hmmm... maybe the value itself isn't tested, but presence of "MiniNT" branch could be... :/
    after all "MiniNT" is adequate to WinPE, WinRE, DART and WinSetup, so it is logical, that no Event Viewer is required there...

...BUT...
    ...on my PC I have registry value added and both ReFS formatting and EventViewer work...
    hmmm...

...maybe it will be better for you to rather crack OS version check, so it could work like on Server :)

5. seehazy

seehazy MDL Novice

Oct 28, 2013
    #25 seehazy, Dec 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    I need clarification on whether formatting a parity Storage Space with ReFS in Windows 8.1 is possible. All indications pointed to yes from what I had read and the help I have received thus far.

Let me run through the list of what I have done: (1)Used the registry hack to add ReFS support to 8.1 (2) Created my storage pool using the GUI within Storage Spaces option (control panel) (3) Used powershell commands to create my virtual disk, success! (4) Now to get the drive number in order to initialize the disk, i used this:
    Code:
    Get-VirtualDisk -FriendlyName "name of storage space" | Get-Disk
    (5)Initialized disk using:
    Code:
    Initialize-Disk -Number "my disk number here"
    , success!
    (6) Partitioned drive using:
    Code:
    New-Partition -DiskNumber -UseMaximumSize -AssignDriveLetter
    , success!
    (7)Formatting the volume is where I have reached a dead end. I have received two different errors. This is the code I am using:
    Code:
    Format-Volume -DriveLetter D -FileSystem ReFS -NewFileSystemLabel "my label here"
    the first error said something about how it would not work running x86 in x64 environment. Fixed this by using Powershell ISE and running powershell through that. I assume this is powershell x64. Now I got one step further with a confirmation before a new error occured:

Code:
    Format-Volume -DriveLetter D -FileSystem ReFS -NewFileSystemLabel "my label here"

Confirm
    Are you sure you want to perform this action?
    Warning, all data on the volume will be lost!
    [Y] Yes  [A] Yes to All  [N] No  [L] No to All   Suspend  [?] Help (default is "Y"): y
    Format-Volume : Access to a CIM resource was not available to the client.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Format-Volume -DriveLetter E -FileSystem ReFS -NewFileSystemLabel "Server Disk"
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : PermissionDenied: (MSFT_Volume (Ob...0-bab3-3628...):ROOT/Microsoft/...age/MSFT_Volume)
       [Format-Volume], CimException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : MI RESULT 2,Format-Volume

Can anyone explain what I am doing wrong? Or can someone verify whether it is actually possible to format with ReFS in Windows 8.1 using PARITY settings? I know that option is not available using the GUI, but I have been led to believe it is possible to format a parity storage space with ReFS using powershell commands.

Thanks

6. seehazy

seehazy MDL Novice

Oct 28, 2013
    Went through the trouble of reverting back to Windows Server 2012 Essentials and formatting my parity ReFS storage space in that OS. I now have Windows 8.1 reinstalled and the storage space is recognized perfectly and fully functional.
    It is POSSIBLE that I simply did not have administrator privileges running when I was trying to format previously. Sure as hell am not about to do this all over again to test out that hypothesis :)