Refurbished pc, laptop or tablet

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Pasta88, Aug 25, 2018.

1. Pasta88

Pasta88 MDL Expert

Jun 17, 2009
    What is your opinion on buying on of these items? What is your experience with them if you have bought refurbished?

Thx

2. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    is a 50-50 thing some refurbish are good and last like if they were new others go bad fast it depends... make sure u buy from a reputable vendor.

3. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    #3 John Sutherland, Aug 25, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
    Hello @Pasta88 - About four years ago I bought a refurbished Lenovo T400 from Thinkpad Depot. This machine came with Windows Vista Business as the OS and was probably made in 2007-2008. I did three things to upgrade it: 1.) Upgraded the memory from 2GB to 4GB by buying one new 2GB DIMM. 2.) Installed a 120GB Crucial M500 SSD in the HDD bay. 3.) Bought a Lenovo brand adapter that allowed me to install the original 160GB HDD into the optical drive bay.

After updating the BIOS, I was able to install Windows 7 on the SSD and activate it. Later, I installed Linux Mint on the HDD.

After two years of use, the original 2GB DIMM failed, so I bought a second new DIMM to replace it.

The only other issue I'm having is that the battery is very old now and due for a replacement. Other than that, it has been very dependable machine and a good investment

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. WindowsGeek

WindowsGeek MDL Expert

Jun 30, 2015
    Well Dell, Lenovo, Samsung, Sony are all very reputable vendors when it comes to refurbished electronics and remember a lot of the so call refurbish is not even that is just open box and return because the customer decided to return it or exchange for another item.

5. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    It will always be a gamble, as it is hard to know which dealer is reputable. So you should have mentioned in which country you want to buy.... and it is also a question which keyboard language set up you need.