reinstall win8 after crash

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by mccharlie85, Feb 15, 2014.

1. mccharlie85

mccharlie85 MDL Novice

Feb 15, 2014
    So here is my dilemma....I have a Toshiba satellite preinstalled with windows 8, after a family member borrowed it the hard drive was DOA, nothing I could do to salvage it. So I bought a new hard drive (from Toshiba) and began to reinstall windows 8. everything went fine until I tried to activate it and my product key failed. I have the original key from the BIOS as well as an additional media & key (windows 8 pro) but neither product keys will work. I think I might have miss matched my media disks, (I have 8 various copies of windows 8). when I input either keys I am given a message stating that the key is not ment for this version please use windows 8 setup or use a windows 8 pro key. well both of these keys are windows 8 pro. I called Microsoft and they verified that both of my keys are legit, but the disk I was provided (by Microsoft) is not. they told me I have a MAK key and my version is GVLK. they told me I would have to pay $100 for a new key. is there anyway I can just get a install disk that uses MAK keys or something? and what the hell is the difference in using a mak key vs GVLK?

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Rock Hunter

Rock Hunter MDL Senior Member

Dec 6, 2011
    #3 Rock Hunter, Feb 15, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2014