Reinstall Windows 8 on a laptop

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by abaguy, Dec 2, 2012.

1. abaguy

abaguy MDL Novice

May 22, 2011
    I have a friend's new Windows 8 laptop that has a winload.efi error at startup that Windows can't fix on it's own. He doesn't have any recovery discs. I downloaded, using the links in the stickys, a copy of Windows 8 64bit and booted from that.

When I try to Refresh you PC, it says the drive is locked and can't continue.

When I try Reset you PC, it says a required drive partition is missing and can't continue.

When I try System Restore, it says I must specify which Windows installation to restore, which I can't do.

There are no Sytem Images to recover.

Automatic Repair doesn't fix it.

I've tried from the command prompt the following:

bootrec /rebuildbcd
    bootrec /fixboot
    bootrec /fixmbr

Neither one fixed the problem.

At this point, since it's a new computer and warranty isn't an option (out of the country) I would like to reinstall Windows.
    Can I use the disc I downloaded to install using the OEM key for the laptop? I've never done this with Win8. Is it a simple procedure like WinXP and Win7?

2. uffbros

uffbros MDL Senior Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Yes..It is as easy as Win 7,Vista,XP.

3. abaguy

abaguy MDL Novice

May 22, 2011
    Are there any special activation requirements? I don't want to go ahead with it and find that I need to call Microsoft to activate it.

4. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    #4 Shenj, Dec 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    This sounds very like your friend deleted Partitions he thought he doesnt need or did some other funky crap.

Windows Setup will auto-detect the Key in the MSDM Table of the Laptop, so you don't have to input any key, it will install with the proper key, so just grab your Stick/Disc and create a fresh install.

If you want to check if he really screwed around with hes partitions..

Just do "Custom" install and check what Partitions are still left, it should be obvious from here if he deleted partitions.

or inside Repair > Command Line

Code:
    Diskpart
    select disk 0 (or list disk first)
    list partition
    You should at least see 4 Partitions> EFI System, MSR, Primary Windows, Recovery

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. hoyogo

hoyogo MDL Novice

Dec 2, 2012
    Clarification

Are you saying that I can download a retail core image and it will recognize my OEM key in the bios?

6. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
    Not to get off topic but why not just go get Windows 8 Pro, activate via KMS, and then activate with a FREE Windows 8 Media Center key?

Windows 8 core is as usfull as Windows ME

7. teribithia

teribithia MDL Novice

Oct 16, 2012
    :eek::eek: A easy direct way to update to W8 pro.

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    If you ask how to upgrade from Windows 8 Core to Windows 8 Pro, you could do that while starting the Setup from within running Windows 8 Core and chose Upgrade installation. You'll need a Pro Key because the Core key will NOT work on Pro.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. smashed

smashed MDL Junior Member

Feb 6, 2008
    Are you sure you need to reinstall? Did you mess with the BIOS? Make sure you turn legacy boot off and have it on UEFI booting.