Reinstalling Win 7 on Eee PC 1005PE

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Palitobuddy, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Palitobuddy

Palitobuddy MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2011
    Hi, I recently had a Disk Failure that resulted in a complete lost, I have since bought another drive only to find out that I don't have a copy of windows 7 starter to install. As you know the Win 7 was preinstalled on the netbook and therefore legal.
    Can anyone tell me how to go about getting a replacement Win 7 starter so I can use the legal key? I never had a CD/DVD from Asus, at the moment the new drive is in the netbook but without an OS I can't use it.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.

2. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    #2 zahnoo, Mar 20, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
    Assuming you have the necessary installation key, a search of this site will get you to a "multi edition" .iso image file to download. Once you have that installation going, choose Starter edition when appropriate, enter the correct key when asked and you're home free ... so to speak. Of course you'll need the proper drivers which I got from the Asus website for my two 1000HE netbooks. You might also want to download the user manual and quick install guide and check what they have to say about making restoration disks. Reading The Factory Manual is always a good idea.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. noyod

noyod MDL Member

Jul 19, 2009
    I have a hunch that your 1005pe already has an embedded slic 2.1 in its bios, considering that it had an oem win7 installation in the beginning. If this is the case, then it would be easier to not enter any product key during the installation process of win7 in your new hdd. Once the installation is complete, run the win7 loader by daz to install the appropriate certificate and product key, automatically. Daz's loader is extremely intelligent to install only the cert/key combo if slic 2.1 is present, or the entire loader is there is no slic 2.1 in the bios.