Reinstalling windows 7 after activating it with the loader...

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by marvel45, Oct 29, 2012.

1. marvel45

marvel45 MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2012
    Hello guys. I'm new here and I need your help with something...

First of all let me thank you for this amazing software. Well, I bought a new mobo for my pc. It has UEFI bios but I managed to activate win7 using the code below. So, I'm wondering what should I do if I need to reinstall windows because using that code would delete both partitions (C ) and (D), right? I only want to reinstall win7 on C ...Do I need to follow those steps again without losing the data from the other partition ( D ) or at the next reinstall it will delete both of them? o_O

Thanks.

##########################################################################

# 4 - UEFI motherboards##########################################################################The loader doesn't work when the systems using GPT. The workaround is to pre-format your hard drive so that it uses MBR instead.From your BIOS select to boot the Windows DVD without UEFI, go to the repair options, select command prompt and then enter this:Diskpartlist diskselect disk 0cleanconvert mbrcreate partition primaryselect partition 1format fs=ntfs quickBoot the Windows DVD the same way you did the first time and then continue with the installation of Windows. Once complete you can then install the loader.

2. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #2 PhaseDoubt, Oct 30, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
    If you repeat a second time, exactly what you did the first time, you'll get the same exact results you got the first time. If your first time wiped you're entire disk, then the next time will too.

Just keep your data backed up and make a couple of system images of your stable system. Something goes wrong a restoration of an image will put you back to the point where the image was made.

3. marvel45

marvel45 MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2012
    Ok. So there's no loader by diaz that would activate it without using that code taking into account that I have UEFI mobo ?

4. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #4 PhaseDoubt, Oct 31, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
    Daz's loader is a stand alone program complete within itself. You do have to not use UEFI, but my once in a row run-in with UEFI was to deselect it in the BIOS. Unless you re-enter BIOS and select UEFI, if it's done that way on your mobo, you shouldn't have to keep doing it I'd think. Most BIOS changes stick until you change them. Your system may be different.

I always format and create partitions outside of the OS installation. Just seems cleaner to me to have the disk the way I want it physically before I start the installation. Once the partitions are established, re-installation doesn't require new formatting and partitioning unless you just want to for some reason. To alter partition size or type maybe.

5. marvel45

marvel45 MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2012
    You're right. What program should I use to format and create partitions on my disk outside the OS installation ?

6. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    What you "should" use is up to you. There are dozens of partitioning programs out there, I use GPartEd since it does what I want it to, it's free and it's simple. If you decide to use it, create the bookable CD and boot from it.