Remote Access

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by ccoltmanm, Jun 2, 2013.

1. ccoltmanm

ccoltmanm MDL Novice

Dec 23, 2012
    I am the IT guy in the family. So, posting a thread like this seems silly, but whatever.

I usually use Windows Remote Assistance to look at and control friends and family member's computers when they need help. I just did so with my uncle tonight.

However, there has to be a better/easier way of remotely connecting to their computers instead of telling them to send an invitation or setting up their firewall for Easy Connect.

What do you guys think? I don't really want to ask them to, or install something like Team Viewer which is silly when they only need me once a year.

Ideas? Suggestions?

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    I used TeamViewer in the past, but was tagged as "commercial user" (my fater familly, mother familly, girlfriend familly and fried wa to musch for personal use I think, even if I didn't charge anyone for that...sigh) so decided to find another solution.

Now, I use DameWare Remote control. To bypass firewall, I make my "clients" connect via VPN (PPTP) to my home server. Since they will be in the same networks as me, it is easy to control them.

I made a package that I send them which automatically install the remote control client, configure the VPn, etc.) They just have to click connect on the VPN link and thats it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. cocachris89

cocachris89 MDL Senior Member

Mar 1, 2013
    There is a small remote assistance utility called Aammy admin. Its only about 250kb in size.

5. ccoltmanm

ccoltmanm MDL Novice

Dec 23, 2012
    Thanks for the replies. I guess I should clarify it would be fine if the user had to so minimal work for me to connect. Maybe I send them a file or something.

Ammyy is really good but the free option is very limited. EFA in going to check out your suggestion. Thanks!

6. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    just setup the router and computer to except as it shows and it will be accessible to you from anywhere you have remote desktop. I used win8 to connect to win7 machine today as well (since you got me thinking about it).

7. Evgeniy

Evgeniy MDL Member

Apr 23, 2010
    VNC + SSH or VPN + Router config. One of the solutions.