Remote PC Access; no more OpenVPN for me, just Anydesk & Zerotier !!

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by smallhagrid, May 26, 2020.

1. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Relax, m8!

It's not exactly Linux's fault - Winblows have the monopoly for many reasons, hence drivers are made for them, not so much for Linux and even when they are, many times it's nowhere near the functionality we have with Winblows drivers, ergo....

Relax, I repeat - it's nothing personal....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    Greetings Gorski !!
    If I get any more relaxed I'll be fast asleep.

As to drivers & as we've discussed in the past - the ONLY driver issues I've had in the ~5 recent years were with NB wifi - easily fixed with a $5 dongle - and:
    Since then apparently even this has been addressed.

Other than the NB wifi stuff - gamers who require $1000 video cards are seldom satisfied anyhow.
    The wonderfully devout windoze fanbois also are always nattering on endlessly about Linux driver issues from a condemnatory stance, despite most of those fanbois NEVER having used Linux at all, ever, but instead do their flaming from their imaginations, mostly.

And of course - worthy of note here IMO:
    It seems that your advice to 'relax' relates with my wonderful FOLLOWERS, who (as it happens) either are shown to have a fully condemnatory stance towards Linux (as in the bad tempered bear guy) or some other ancient OS networking protocols, etc. whilst posting off-topic - but vaguely related stuff that is not EXACTLY condemnatory, but can be seen that way if desired.

Such amazing cleverness.
    I'm so fortunate to have such thoughtful & clever FOLLOWERS !!!

And to whom I gratefully send=>
    :giverose::kissin::gkiss::flying_kiss:

3. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    FIESTA FIESTA QUE VIVA LA FIESTA
    :holiday:

Ready to party again, am I too late?

:jester:

4. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    I had many more problems with Linux drivers, from audio and WiFi to external devices like printers (esp. all in one) and so on...

Also, the same SW under Linux is frequently a pale shade of what it is under Winblows, as there is not enough incentive...

The worst part is that help is often hard to come by and frequently when it does - one wishes it hasn't come at all...

It's a complex affair, not one to be tribal about, I think.... I love the idea of free SW, not so much of the rest but...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    Greetings Once Again Gorski !!
    I can say with total accuracy & confidence that it was more than 5 years ago that I had any goofy driver troubles in setting up Linux on either a desktop or NB PC - with the SINGLE exception of the NB wifi solution that I already reminded about.

App-wise, I do all my normal stuff with no troubles using both Linux and windoze apps as do the happy Linux using folks whom I support both locally and distantly.

Yes:
    For total non-techie end users their 1st installation might be too difficult even for Ubuntu - unless maybe they find & use the updated version of Wubi:
    https://github.com/hakuna-m/wubiuefi/wiki

Wubi for Ubuntu 20.04.1 (rev. 342)
    https://github.com/hakuna-m/wubiuefi/releases/tag/20041r342
    https://github.com/hakuna-m/wubiuefi/releases/download/20041r342/wubi20041r342.exe

Or maybe:
    https://github.com/hakuna-m/wubiuefi/releases/tag/18045r333

On the other hand - after doing the initial setting up for all sorts of folks and replacing their windoze boxes (which I had also previously built & supported for them), they ALL have trouble-free daily usages under Linux - still - right now - today.

It is worthy of note that for true end users, even installing ANY OS will be too much for them - and for that matter, most do not even wish to install any apps or even their own printers.

Lastly - and this has been said many, many times before:
    Folks who find their ways to MDL are usually at a very much higher user level than the average non-techie who will march into a box store & buy something right off the shelf - then will use it just as it arrived.

Folks who are members here tend to be technophiles rather than technophobes, so philosophically pointing to joe average here is really a very poor fit.

6. bear_aussie

bear_aussie MDL Senior Member

Jun 8, 2015
    im a tourist-eating dropbear :icecream:
    during a pandemic when there r no tourists :mad:
    i gaurantee u will b hungry and bad tempered 2 :roflmao:

7. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    Ooooh - how very cool !!
    Greetings & Welcome to you, Dear Follower.

How delightful to see this type of devotion.

8. ipx

ipx MDL Addicted

May 24, 2017
    #28 ipx, Oct 29, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2022

9. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    Greetings Dear Follower !!
    It is so very good to see how dependable that this wonderful feature is.

Thanks so very much for showing so very clearly that my observations have been absolutely correct;
    This is very kind of you and greatly appreciated as now any & everyone here who may wish to can see this truth confirmed quite openly.

Just FYI=> I do keep XP around as a VM ONLY & as a convenience ONLY in using one, single app & without any network connected.
    All else with windoze apps for me is done via WINE under Linux.
    (And as for networking, I do not use IPX/SPX either, so long as you're speaking of antiquated stuff...)

Now, since you've brought it up in your very odd reply here=>
    1 - As clearly stated a bunch of times here by me, I am a full-time Linux user;
    2 - Maybe you would like to look here for some very nifty info:
    https://wnr.fandom.com/wiki/Windows_XP_2020_Edition

I do not claim to know (or even have any interest) in the latest XP or 7 usage statistics, but:
    Here you are name-calling LOTS of folks around the entire world with really nasty labels like 'stupid', 'nuts', 'idiots' and 'morons'.
    Seems to this member that many, many folks would take strong exception to being name-called with such offensive labels;
    Just as I am quite certain that you would also be strongly offended by such labels if/when they might get aimed at yourself.

It must also be that you somehow consider yourself & your specific choices of OS & tech gear to be 'above' those who lack your resources, which is not only nasty, but also very narrow-minded as there are many poor folks (and even companies) who still use XP & 7:
    Your comment about drivers must assuredly be aimed at windoze users as I can merrily say that for years now (since quitting windoze) I've not had to install even one single driver for any Linux system I've set up.

Perhaps you may consider laying down your pitchfork & putting out your torch, and instead share something a bit more kind or helpful sometime in the future, please ??

Speaking as one who is NOT any sort of follower, I am best described thusly:
    ʇsᴉɯɹoɟnoɔNON

It is that specific quality which inspired this quote:

[​IMG]

Also, upon the notion of being 'different'...:
    Some years back folks would tend to view Linux users as if they had some sort of scary illness - until those same folks were asked to show off their shiny, fancy smartphone.

Then, no matter which brand it turned out to be, it was either running a variation of Linux or Unix, which of course they had no ideas about being daily users of.
    See, not so different after all, it would seem !!

And in closing I once again gratefully send to you=>
    :giverose::kissin::gkiss::flying_kiss: