Removal of Leaked and Packaged Updates Poll

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Brandrune, Dec 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Removed Leaked and Packaged Updates from MDL?

1. Yes

65.7%
  2. No

34.3%
  1. TR2N

TR2N MDL Member

Feb 28, 2008
    I voted with REMOVE THEM!

I really don´t care about "unofficial/leaked" updates, i never would install them. You never know, what they will affect in the future (SP installation issues for example...). And i really don´t notice any minor changes after installing some leaked updates in my test VM.

Everybody can build there own update-packs, there is a handful of tools outside in the web. No reason to post every self made pack here.

2. Brandrune

Brandrune MDL Addicted

Jul 30, 2009
    Thanks again for all your comments. We may alter the poll soon for different options such as "Keep one Update Leaker/Packer".

3. johnalvin

johnalvin MDL Bios Modder

Sep 3, 2007
    I voted NO, same as bios mods " Install at Your Own Risk"

4. RickSteele

RickSteele MDL Addicted

Nov 12, 2009
    I vote no; I've had zero problems with this this update pack, integrated or installed after setup and like being current.
    One does not have to use it if they choose not to-a matter of choice.

5. MadSheep!

MadSheep! MDL Junior Member

Jul 12, 2009
    of course to remove the leaked update

because

1. The are not tasted
    2. It is in beta stage (this will cause future problems with the final updates)
    3. You forgot to understand the purpose of the beta the beta is for testing only not for use i believe that will may fix same problems but it will cause more in time with unchangeable effects

I believe it is better to create a separate topic with all beta updates with the information and warnings end any one that want to taste or use them to know the consensuses and the side effects.

MadSheep

6. SCBrigth

SCBrigth MDL Senior Member

May 9, 2009
    #46 SCBrigth, Dec 18, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
    I voted YES, but agree with an unique and separate topic with ALL the needed information about EACH leaked update, including the potential risks.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    A sub-forum to the Windows 7 section would be acceptable to me so that all unofficial Windows 7 update-related posts would be where I would never see them unless I have a reason to visit and search for something.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. andyp

andyp SLIC Tools Author

Aug 8, 2008
    Voted no.

I hope I understood correctly. There have been times (albeit back in XP days) when it was very useful to be able to get a non-publically available KB update from a reliable source, to see if it would fix the odd problem or two, without having to justify yourself to MS to get it from them.

I don't particularly care for packages per se..... personally I would be very happy with either an archive with all in, or each individually. I would not want beta releases, just those that are final but not easily available.

Hope this is helpful (and makes sense!)
    Andy

9. highspeedmac

highspeedmac MDL Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Yes.

In my opinion, what sense does it really make to come to MDL and learn how to do what most people learn how to do here, then download the OS updates and Patches from some other source, other then MS.

Not saying there are no uses for those packages, but in my opinion it's kind of useless to post them here of all places. :confused:

10. deathbb

deathbb MDL Novice

Apr 23, 2008
    Voted NO

I have had official MS releases cause problems and I have had a leaked patch fix a problem a month before MS got around to releasing it. Let us choose if the risk is acceptable. Don't choose for us.

11. exo-dan

exo-dan MDL Senior Member

Aug 22, 2009
    I totally agree with that,and voted no

12. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    If you go to the dentist for a checkup each year anyway, why waste time brushing your teeth?

Why take a shower when come the next day you'll have to take another one anyway?

Why eat when it just means a trip to the bathroom later?

Why service you car? It aint broke, so why fix it (I absolutely hate that saying) ;)

Why go to uni to learn how to forget stuff?

And now for the updates... why install them when you can get them from Windowsupdate or direct from Microsoft? Simple. Like all the examples above its your choice.

What I recommend is they're kept to a minimum, and labelled as 'beta' (even though many of them are downloadable through normal channels and are identical).

I wonder how many of those complaining about the 'officialness' of the updates actually have a genuine copy of Windows, Office, and every other piece of software on their computer?

What it comes down to is just stating that they may be test versions of fixes, and to install them only if you are an enthusiast.

And thats where the answer is, in the last word 'enthusiast'. An 'average joe' shouldn't install these updates as they most likely don't apply to them and they may see the OS as just an OS (aka not giving a sh.. :)). Enthusiasts on the other hand are quite willing to try them, are quite willing to try beta Office versions, beta Service packs, and beta operating systems.

These updates are probably safer than running any of the beta or RC Windows, especially since you have many more security holes plugged :)

So, for those that said yes to remove them, they can simply not install them. Those that said 'no, don't remove them' well they can still enjoy their enthusiasm for the OS and trying new things.

13. SweetSmile

SweetSmile MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2009
    The hotfixes which I uploaded is not beta release and leaked hotfixes.

Hi.

I uploaded many hotfixes on December 11.
    I also upload hotfix before it.

Those hotfixes is not beta release and leaked hotfixes.

I downloaded them from Microsoft directly.
    I did not access the site of Microsoft illegally.

Microsoft releases many hotfixes,
    because there are many people needing them.

It should have no problem that hotdixes are packaged for them.
    It is to judge it for oneself which hotfix is necessary to be important.
    It may cause a problem to install hotfix at random.
    However, it is important to install necessary hotfix for oneself.
    Though hotfix solves a problem, do you continue using the computer without installing hotfix?

Another problem of this argument is that there are plural people uploading hotfixes.
    When somebody alone uploads hotfixes, another man being behaves as oneself leaked out.
    Therefore many people argue which source is right.
    and many people argue about viruses.
    Furthermore, the people argue that hotfix is beta release, and it was leaked out.

really worthless.

14. joontje

joontje MDL Novice

Jul 15, 2009
    Finished, unfinished, beta, almost finished .. you can keep going with this but you actually never know if its anything of the above until MS puts it up themselves.

My vote is yes.

15. SoLoR

SoLoR MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2008
    people are refering to "leaked" hotfixes, to hotfixes not avilable "upon request" for random joes on corresponding KB article. Thats about 1/3 of all hotfixes you can get :) However lots of them do eventualy get corresponding KB article.

16. rasputinuk

rasputinuk MDL Member

May 21, 2007
    Personaly I say Yes, Admittedly they did sort out a few issues I had during Beta testing, but since installing RTM these issues have gone and my system is now stable. If as is suspected that some if not most of these updates will appear in SP1 then I'm prepared to wait until the official release of SP1.

Thanks MDL,
    Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year
    to you all.

RasputinUK:)

17. jsday187

jsday187 MDL Novice

Apr 10, 2008
    The updates worked GREAT on my laptop. Only fixed problems for me. People are just looking for excuses to slough off the fact that their computer sucks or that they download too many retarded files and torrents through limewire and s**t. Not a single update ive downloaded from here has had a virus.
    Half the paranoid freaks who say the updates wreck their computer are probably trying to run windows 7 on some core2 they bought 2 years ago or an even worse computer, and on top of that theyre probably running like 4 s**tty antiviruses/antispyware programs which screws youre computer up by itself. Then they probably have like 5 different registry cleaner programs and optimizers they run 20 times a day, screwing up their registrys and s**t.

THE UPDATES ARE COMPLETELY FINE.
    GET OVER IT ALREADY, AND LOOK ELSEWHERE FOR REASONS YOUR COMPUTER SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!

18. jsday187

jsday187 MDL Novice

Apr 10, 2008
    #58 jsday187, Dec 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    BETA TESTING???!!!?? These bloody updates where released AFTER windows7 hit RTM. THEY ARE FOR THE RTM RELEASE OF WINDOWS 7. WTF?!?!?!?!?

No wonder people are having issues.
    Code:
     Moderation Block: Please do not insult members 

19. rasputinuk

rasputinuk MDL Member

May 21, 2007

20. Lich King

Lich King MDL Addicted

Sep 24, 2009
    of course, i don't need updates rollin' around which is not via WU..
    it can be anything, beta test, fake or smthng..