Removal of Leaked and Packaged Updates Poll

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Brandrune, Dec 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Removed Leaked and Packaged Updates from MDL?

1. Yes

65.7%
  2. No

34.3%
  1. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Im definately voting ...YES. Updates should come from M$ only. You simply are taking a gamble with computer stabillity and security by installing updates from unknown , unverified or untrusted sources.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. SoLoR

SoLoR MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2008
    i seriously have no idea what some of you are thinking... are you maybe drinking to much or something else? If i recall corretly whole _one_ update was avilable for Win7 beta (the one for WMP bug) and one for Win7 RC (some IE update). DO NOT CONFUSE GA with RTM. Two compleatly seperate things....

they _could_ be beta yes, however you dont know if they are and im not saying i do... they are just "updates". About fake part, maybe if you dont know what digital signature is and/or you are lazy to check for it (i know i am, but i generaly trust certain sources).

Fact is people are arguing that they are "fake", while they are not if you bother to check, people are arguing they are "beta", fact for 2/3 you have KB article, so those 2/3 are CERTANLY not beta other 1/3 we can argue but its everyones guess. However they are sometimes just released sooner then KB article is avilable and yes this _might_ mean they are going thrue certain "test period", but if they fix the issue, do you actualy care if its "test" period or not? Lots of this updates are fixing certain issues EVERYONE could get (not likely but still), just today i saw certain KB article that computer goes might go to sleep (if timer hits at that point), even if you are in middle of burining DVD. Isnt this something useful for EVERYONE to be fixed? And yes i do have turned off sleep, so ill never get that issue, but it still doesnt hurt its fixed.

3. amires

amires MDL Member

Sep 27, 2009
    I am voting NO, I like to have private hotfixes available.

4. gropopo

gropopo MDL Novice

Oct 30, 2009

Definitively NOOOOOOOooooooo....
    Every can choose to install or not the "private" updates .... all informations about se7en'sevolution or release are good to take

A part of MDL is about Windows 7 ........ is it just to copy Microsoft official communication? :mad: :mad: :mad:

5. Bluescreen

Bluescreen MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2009
    I voted Yes. I don't trust these big packages floating around without enough details and no links to KBxxx from MS.
    I would vote NO if we could get full information about each release.
    (Sorry for my bad English) ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. USNative

USNative MDL Novice

Sep 8, 2009
    I say pull em !!! Not worth the risk. Hard feelings can be created if people who download them don't get the desired outcome. I think it would be better to dump it than to run the risk of offering something that may cause problems. Just my opinion guys , no offense intended here. :)

7. PAYMYRENT

PAYMYRENT MDL Developer

Jul 28, 2009
    as i have stated many times it should be up to the user... if they want to take the risk knowing what it could do then let them...

8. secr9tos

secr9tos MDL Addicted

Jul 28, 2009
    #68 secr9tos, Dec 20, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
    Although I've voted 'yes' I agree that it's the choice of the user whether to install or not. If the result is close to 50/50 why not make only one thread as update source and delete the rest??

9. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    This idea is already in discussion. We'll see then...

10. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009

I voted yes but I would be very happy if you guys found a way to leave them on AND addressed some of our concerns such as KB articles, one thread, one package, etc.

I know we already have a trusted updates stciky but that seems to be strictly for windows update and should probably stay that way.

11. SCBrigth

SCBrigth MDL Senior Member

May 9, 2009
    I also voted YES, but I agree to you. The same approach of the Compatibility Center (that is very good) could be used, including the KB articles, warnings about possible issues and if the update was tested or not.

12. tomorrow

tomorrow MDL Addicted

Jul 3, 2008
    Well be ready to ban the following too then: Loaders,SLIC-s,Custom BIOS-s,Registry Tweaks,Custom Themes and so on

As i said earlier.The few legit MS updates dont pose as nearly as big a threat as some other things and banning these makes no sense at all.
    If a user is stupid enough to screw up PC with simple install and use updates then you can bet he cant manage the custom stuff.

And for the record.When installing Windows Update checks digital signature of the update.If the update has been tampered with or is not actual update then install fails.So the argument that the leaked updates could contain something malicious is flawed from the root :rolleyes: .

As for the risks.Well even starting up your PC is a risk.Because there could be a electrical overload that fries your PC ;)

13. gropopo

gropopo MDL Novice

Oct 30, 2009
    I agree with you
    HAVING THE CHOICE & INFORMATIONS = LIBERTY of each user

so, the good answer :confused: is
    :D NO :D

14. MadSheep!

MadSheep! MDL Junior Member

Jul 12, 2009
    Yes but if you screw something with the loader with one and simple command you can fix it can you imagine to screw something with the kernel and system files can you fix that?
    custom stuff have warnings and some support and used from experienced users.

you can take care for your system in every way as for the electrical overload you can use an ups with voltage stabilizer

15. PAYMYRENT

PAYMYRENT MDL Developer

Jul 28, 2009
    uninstall the update :p or keep a backup which i know most ppl do... its common sense if you think it will fix a problem then do it if not then dont do it... just like if i where to kill smss.exe i know it will give a bsod... now do you think you will do it just because i told you what would happen? i dont think you would... and how would ppl know if the update is good for them if they dont try it? whats the point of the windows update compatibility thread if no one would take the risk to try it out??? how would anyone learn anything if they dont try it first?

16. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009

NO, The ability to have the discussion and reach a consensus= Liberty.

17. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    8 pages later on and we are still discussing this votes 148 for delete 73 to keep enough said i think. Pack are available on the Net MDL is not a one stop fix for everyone :)

18. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    #78 alextheg, Dec 21, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
    +1 urie. the stats speak for themselves. Well put. :D

19. USNative

USNative MDL Novice

Sep 8, 2009
    #79 USNative, Dec 21, 2009

20. PAYMYRENT

PAYMYRENT MDL Developer

Jul 28, 2009
    #80 PAYMYRENT, Dec 21, 2009