Remove Domain policies on local computer

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by SOCRATE_MMXII, Apr 4, 2012.

1. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    My work computer is part of a local domain. Within this domain I can't have access to DRIVE C:, meaning that I can't install any programs, or programs already installed programs can't save new settings there.
    Any help?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. endlesslyonline

endlesslyonline MDL Junior Member

Jul 20, 2011
    Im a bit of a Domain n00b myself, so i stand to be corrected.

But if you know the local admin user and pass, cant you log into the local PC, not the domain, and then install what you want?

3. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    They are there for a reson!

You signed an agreement while taking the job which would mean that any tampering with it is a gross misconduct!

sebus

4. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    +1 Several people recently go fired from my company for doing just that. Considering they were all making $60,000 -$80,000US it was a rather expensive game for them. My company considered it a cost cutting move and have since decided to removed the jobs from the department's org chart.

As a US Marine buddy of mine often says, "If you're going to be dumb, you'd better be tough."

5. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    I didn't sign any agreement of such matter. I just wanted a company software on my computer and after installing their program they made my PC a part of their domain. It's not that I'm desperate about this thing, but I want to know if it's possible and how to circumvent their restrictions.
    The PC is running Windows 7 Ultimate.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    For most companies there doesn't have to be any signed statement. When you went to work for them, and took their money, you agreed to follow their procedures, policies and restrictions. That's just part and parcel of how businesses are run.

Why not just ask them about doing it? If everything you want to do is aboveboard and not "dangerous" to the system they own I'm sure they'll allow you to experiment. The question I have is this ... why are you here asking the question? Is it because you know they'll disallow you doing it? In fact they already have. Do you think if you do what you want they won't find out?

It's your job and your choice, but from my perspective you already know this is a forbidden thing or you wouldn't be here trying to find out how to sneak around their security settings and admin policies.

7. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    I just want to know how to do it. That's just it. ;)

8. evlad

evlad MDL Member

May 23, 2011
    if you have admin rights (local or domain):
    win + r
    type gpedit.msc
    then unlock drive in path:
    user configuration->administrative template->windows components->windows explorer
    key: prevent access to drives from my computer
    key: hide these specified drives in my computer
    WARRNING: doing this at your own risk, may constitute a criminal offense

9. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    #9 SOCRATE_MMXII, Apr 13, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
    (OP)
    Thank you. I'll try in the morning and let you know about it. ;)

LE: don't have the rights to open gpedit.msc :(

10. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    You'll have to get your company IT people to unlock it for you then.