Remove Flash Player

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by GOD666, Oct 26, 2016.

1. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    I pretty much just ignore it. I've learned over the years if I have the option to just not use what I don't like, things seems to run better for a lot longer. Just my experience ... YMMV.

I have Internet Explorer, Edge (in Windows 10), Chrome Browser and Firefox. I haven't used IE since I discovered FF unless its engine was required to get updates but then I discovered offline updating. Edge is a complete waste of my time. Firefox is what I use mostly and it doesn't have Flash Player; I hardly miss it. I'd much rather read than watch a long, boring and redundant flash video. Again, my solution there. When I absolutely must have; can't do without a Flash video, I use Chrome browser. My solution; yours may be different.

For me there's real truth is "letting sleeping dogs lie". Sometimes you just don't want to kick the dragon, er ... dog.

2. mooty221

mooty221 MDL Novice

Aug 11, 2016
    Thanks OP. Forgot it automatically installs it.

3. MELERIX

MELERIX MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2011
    #23 MELERIX, Oct 27, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    you can remove all this lines

Code:
    del C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\*.* /Q
    del C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\*.* /Q
    rd C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash
    rd C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash
    rd C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed
    rd C:\Windows\System32\Macromed
    and just use:

Code:
    rd "C:\Windows\System32\Macromed" /Q /S
    rd "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed" /Q /S

4. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    #24 GOD666, Oct 28, 2016
    (OP)
    @MELERIX Great minds think alike ;)

I had originally simplified it in that manner but got an odd error about the folder not being empty. Which was technically true there was an empty "temp" (tmp) folder. Although I did find the error to be "odd" given the commands used. :confused:

I guess for good measure and just for the sake of argument (and the madness that is Microsoft Windows :p ), I could amend to include those two lines at the end

Code:
    del C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\*.* /Q
    del C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\*.* /Q
    rd C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash
    rd C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash
    rd C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed
    rd C:\Windows\System32\Macromed
    del C:\Windows\SysWOW64\FlashPlayerApp.exe
    del C:\Windows\SysWOW64\FlashPlayerCPLApp.cpl
    rd "C:\Windows\System32\Macromed" /Q /S
    rd "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed" /Q /S
    You are absolutely right in that the 2 simple lines should have been simple and good enough. But as I said, the little unknown really did leave me puzzled.

5. MELERIX

MELERIX MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2011
    #25 MELERIX, Oct 28, 2016
    I guess it was due you forgot the /S command :p

btw, this...

Code:
    del C:\Windows\SysWOW64\FlashPlayerApp.exe
    del C:\Windows\SysWOW64\FlashPlayerCPLApp.cpl
    could be reeplaced by...

Code:
    del C:\Windows\SysWOW64\FlashPlayer*.*
    you also need to remove the registry entries related with flash player, and "Adobe Flash Player Updater.job" & "C:\Windows\Tasks\Adobe Flash Player PPAPI Notifier.job" from "C:\Windows\Tasks".

6. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    #26 GOD666, Oct 28, 2016
    (OP)
    No, I had included it on my test box and that is where I got the odd error. (Microsoft is a strange beast sometimes)

This is cleaner! Will update post #1 to reflect it ;)

Thank you! :)

I use a normal reg cleaner (ccleaner is good enough) and so I don't actually know the keys that it leaves. If you do, please, let me know the commands that would remove it. Playing with the registry via the command prompt is not something I usually play with. :)

7. MELERIX

MELERIX MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2011
    #27 MELERIX, Oct 28, 2016
    for example you could use this...

Code:
    REG DELETE "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Macromedia" /f
    REG DELETE "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Macromedia" /f
    REG DELETE "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins\@adobe.com/FlashPlayer" /f
    REG DELETE "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@adobe.com/FlashPlayer" /f
    probably there are few more registry keys related with others browsers, but not sure.

8. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    #28 GOD666, Oct 28, 2016
    (OP)
    This could be good for folks who have no plans on using Flash Player at all (anywhere).

:cool:
    However here is my fear....

Some folks do use Flash in other browsers. After all, you can manage it and update it as needed, ASAP in Firefox or Opera. However, the flash that comes bundled with windows and is loaded with your PC, you're really at the mercy of Microsoft.

I recall way back in Windows 8 (which also had this bundled), Adobe released a few security updates, and everyone else was freaking out because for whatever reason M$ was sitting on their ass, doing nothing. This has happened with Windows 10 once too (people had to wait nearly 2 weeks before they finally got around to release an update).

Which is why I think it is a good idea to remove the Flash Player from Windows that is pre-installed and managed by Microsoft.

My fear about using wild registry hacks to attack any Flash Player... I fear could harm those who have it installed in other browsers. It's great for those of us who do not want or use it at all, anywhere, but deleting registry entries gives me some pause.

I think I'll update post #1 and link to this post, explaining how the registry removal should be optional depending on need ;)

9. MELERIX

MELERIX MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2011
    #29 MELERIX, Oct 28, 2016
    this...

Code:
    takeown /f C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\*.*
    takeown /f C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\*.*
    could be replaced by...

Code:
    takeown /F "C:\Windows\System32\Macromed" /R
    takeown /F "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed" /R

10. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    #31 GOD666, Oct 28, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
    (OP)
    Actually, you're wrong.

YouTube
    Amazon
    NetFlix

All of them work without flash player. I have over 300 modern window app games working just fine without Flash Player too.

11. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    #33 T-S, Oct 28, 2016

Indeed that's the obvious way

The obvious, and a little more complicate way, is using dism.

Whatever, I never open IE or EDGE, but using Vivaldi or Opera I vastly prefer Flash over the still not matured HTML5, and flash unlike it's replacement is pretty easy to enable and disable, or to leave as a component on demand.

Long live Flash !

12. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    #34 GOD666, Oct 28, 2016
    (OP)
    To each their own.

The goal is not to make a customized, private, ISO (windows install). After all, the 1st windows update, will just re-add flash anyways and so you've gone to the lengths of removing it from an untouched ISO for nothing.

My code can be re-used even after Windows Update adds it. ;)

As a personal preference, which we both seem to have, our own personal preference (nothing wrong with that); I see making my own customized ISO as problematic. If something were to go wrong, I would be installing a corrupt version of windows with little chance of recovery; meaning I'd need an extra, untouched ISO, to re-install all over again. Microsoft, after all, spends months testing their setup configuration, and the idea of using a tool to make my own, while can be appealing to some, seems unwise to me.

I personally feel that it is a lot easier and safer to remove 4 simple files, as opposed to being forced to re-install windows from scratch. And if something were to go wrong, I can fix it within Windows, as opposed to having to re-install a new ISO.

And of course, your ideal method helps no one who already has Windows installed and simply wishes to remove Flash Player, without having to start over.

But I digress.... To each his or her own. :)

13. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    What has to do a custom ISO with the proper way of removing a package?:g:

If you remove flash, edge, or whatever, WU doesn't update them, just because something that isn't there isn't going to be updated.

Instead, if you remove it forcefully, the system isn't aware that the package was removed, so WU will "update" (reinstall) the component and sfc /scannow will reinstall it.

A custom iso is just a further step, useful for sysadmins, IT technicians and and for crazy people who keeps formatting and reinstalling windows on each problem they face.

For such categories 20 minutes spent once, means hours spared in the future.

14. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    #36 GOD666, Oct 28, 2016
    (OP)
    It has been wrongfully suggested that is the only way to do it (which it is incorrect).

Wrong. Microsoft in their crazy wisdom; do release commutative updates (large updates that include many previous updates all bundled together). I like to think of them as mini SP's (service packs); which is exactly how Microsoft referred them as in their keynote address (for the sake of argument).

My method, 30 seconds, and it is gone. Your method requires the reinstall of Windows (or having to be very selective on your updates).

You run that risk using most of the things found on this and other sites, that remove stuff in windows. Plus, I again, remind you of the commutative updates that like to re-add everything, including things you may have prevented from installing when you made your own ISO

I understand the appeal, just as equally as I understand the risk, as well as I understand... I do not want to be 1 of those people reinstall windows all the time. ;)

I would argue 30 seconds spent running my code, means hours spared in the future.

As I said... To each his or her own. You have your way and you're OK with it. I have my way and I'm OK with it. To each his or her own :)

15. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    No it's not the only way, it's the proper way, as I said. DISM is more proper, wim tweak is a nice tool to use a simple syntax and/or less steps.

Large updates are still corner cases, whatever in such case nothing changes over the forced way, just do it again.

Touching the system is always risky, but removing a package is surely way less risky than deleting "random" files or registry keys.

Sure, but 15 seconds removing a package using the proper tools is even better.

16. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    #38 GOD666, Oct 28, 2016
    (OP)
    To says something is "proper" is to wrongfully suggest right or wrong. There is no wrong way by doing it this way ;)

Microsoft update will still re-add it. It does not check to see if you have flash installed, it checks to see if you have the most recent update. Microsoft knows that you're using Windows 10 and in their playbook, it comes with flash, and it must be updated.

My way is simple in that you do not have to keep making a new ISO and you can continue to use Windows without having to reinstall (or having to be very selective on your updates).

To a degree, we're both doing the same thing. You're removing the package before the install, which has its risk. I'm removing the package after the install.

The difference is I see your method with the most higher risk as you modify the way Windows actually installs. Microsoft spends months, making sure things install correctly, before releasing anything. I'd much rather trust their installer, untouched, and working, then play with how Windows installs.

I also do not want to reinstall windows every time there is a possible update that adds flash or continuously needs to make my own ISO. It is easier, quicker, and I believe safer, to remove the package after, rather than making my own ISO which is untested and if done wrong, leaves with a corrupt install.

Takes 5 seconds with mine...

We are going to have to agree to disagree. You have your way and I have mine. Let's leave it as that. :)

17. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

I reply to this,then I stop, given I'm sure you got what I mean.

You can remove Office deleting all of its files, unregistering components and deleting registry keys.

or

you can go to the control panel and click uninstall.

The former is a way that works (assuming you know what are you doing), the latter is the proper way.

Windows components are just the same. DISM is the proper way to manage them (no matter if you have an alternate way that leads more or less to the same result).

That's all.

18. glennsamuel32

glennsamuel32 MDL Senior Member

Jul 15, 2012