Remove Recovery partition

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by tistou77, Dec 14, 2015.

1. tistou77

tistou77 MDL Expert

Mar 22, 2008
    Hello

Is it possible to remove the Recovery partition (500Mb) for installation?
    If so, how ?
    This is useful just for the "Recovery"

Thanks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Bezalel

Bezalel MDL Member

Apr 30, 2012
    In theory, you can move the winre.wim file back to C:\Windows\System32\Recovery\ and use reagentc to register the new location. I never tried it so I can't confirm that it works.

You'd lose the ability to boot to recovery and don't gain much space.

3. ifly22

ifly22 MDL Novice

May 26, 2015
    i do this in virtual during windows installation alot, follow these steps to avoid creating the 200-500mb partition

• shift-f10
    • Diskpart
    • List disk
    • Select disk n (where n is the number that was given for your disk in List disk)
    • Clean
    • Create partition primary
    • Format fs=ntfs quick
    • Active
    • Exit
    • Exit
    • continue installation

4. yomoma2

yomoma2 MDL Senior Member

Feb 27, 2010
    ^^ This, it works at least since W7 (to have a c:\boot, for instance). If one wants to keep everything in the system partition, you just need to point windows to install in a partition already present that covers a whole drive. Might not be a good idea, though.
    If space is critical, you might also try to use system fast compression on the OS files ("compact /compactos:always"; :never will remove it), and some manually selected folders, despite a bit of overhead.

5. Bezalel

Bezalel MDL Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Are you asking about a new or existing install? For a new install, point the installer at an existing partition and it will leave it alone.

If you install to unpartitioned space it will create additional partitions in that space.

6. genenioo

genenioo MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2007
    All you have to do is go to Disk Management under Computer Management in the Administrative Tools in the Control Panel and delete the recovery partition. You can then extend the main volume to use the space that's now unallocated from the previous recovery partition. This option has been around since at least Windows 7.

7. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Also a related query. In MBR for win 7 (2010-12), I used to keep only C: and not keep the 100MB system reserved partition. That was through either presenting a partitoned disk during install or doing it during install through delete/extend etc.
    In GPT/UEFI, I do not do that anymore and let Windows 8-10 do whatever it wants.
    However, I can see the convenience of having only 1 partition (C:) apart from MSR for GPT. This makes it easier to do backups (just select C:) and also restore from Acronis Boot CD (if that is the way). Acronis 2016 boot CD does not present disk view, only partition view and it can be confusing to identify source and destination. It sees 3 sources and then asks for 3 destinations.
    Anyway to do this safely during install. Is it just like I did for MBR. Let Windows DVD create the MSR and then delete/extend to just have C: before install.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. tistou77

tistou77 MDL Expert

Mar 22, 2008
    thanks so much for your replies

In fact I want to delete the Recovery partition because I do not need (and Recovery is removed in Windows)
    This is just to gain disk space and delete something I do not use

But I want to keep partition "EFI" and "System" (so the Boot directory either on the System partition
    and not on the C partition)

Already tried but it does not work, installation in UEFI (even with the disk converted to GPT)
    I also tried to have only one partition, but UEFI, it does not work

There will not a file, or other dll in boot.wim who created the Recovery partition, that I could delete ?

Thanks for your help

9. tistou77

tistou77 MDL Expert

Mar 22, 2008
    I tested and found with diskpart during installation
    I do not have a Recovery partition (30 seconds to do)

If someone interested in it, I will indicate the commands

10. Prosto

Prosto MDL Addicted

Mar 18, 2015
    after install OS, boot from USB or DVD again and delete recovery partition.

11. tistou77

tistou77 MDL Expert

Mar 22, 2008
    #11 tistou77, Dec 16, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
    (OP)
    Yes but the partition is deleted but still present (unallocated) ?

For me

Capture.PNG

12. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #12 Enthousiast, Dec 16, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
    You're saving 100 MB..... and i don't see unallocated space in the screenshot? It's the efi partition what i see.

13. tistou77

tistou77 MDL Expert

Mar 22, 2008
    Yes, this is the Recovery partition that I do not have, the EFI is always present (required for UEFI installation)
    The Recovery partition isn't created during installation, I saved 500Mb (+500Mb on the OS partition :D)

I asked in the post above, with this method "after install OS, boot from USB or DVD again and delete recovery partition" the partition was deleted but still present (unallocated)

14. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    When a partition is deleted it will be unallocated till you allocate it, by expanding the next partition maybe ;)

Enjoy the 100MP3's you now can save extra on your windows partition :D

15. tistou77

tistou77 MDL Expert

Mar 22, 2008
    The partition is not deleted since it is not created ;)