Remove Telemetry and Windows 10 Related Updates from Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Skaendo, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Webfortuners

Webfortuners MDL Novice

May 5, 2016
    You can go to kickass torrent and download a cracked version of windows 10 , there such that you can patch from the given file and it will turn off updates. I downloaded cracked windows 10 from kickass torrent and I'm using it for past for months and it works hassle free.

2. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    #382 abbodi1406, Jun 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
    This is Windows 7 forum dude

you are welcomed to keep the cracked version for yourself :rolleyes:

3. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    Too much of that cracked can cloud the brain:druff:

4. Stewox

Stewox MDL Junior Member

Nov 22, 2013
    #384 Stewox, Jun 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
    So I'm trying to use WSUSOffline and it downloaded some 2GB of updates, I have early 2013 version of Win7x64Ultimate, and I've done maybe only a few updates once or twice in this span of 3 years, but I don't update at all, so I have it disabled and it's going to stay this way, and I wanted to maybe get to offline updating and I foudn this utility I didn't even knew it existed, so it definitely is handy.

A hickup is that WSUSOffline is as far as I can see on the first look not GWX and Telemetry aware so I'll have to sort that manually.

It's made so it launches a script and runs the stuff in this folder but im totally new to this app I'll need to figure out if it's in scripts or I simply remove the files to make it properly skip a package. Some time ago I put IE11 on but I did that offline with another tool (don't remember, it was from windows site but that was like a year ago before win10 stuff started coming out and it's a KB3058515 from 2013 anyway, ofcourse I disabled updates for IE11)

I'm wondering some stuff about the new ones, since I want to try updating the actual good updates and see how it goes, I have ofcourse a disk image backup as I don't trust any of it.

One of the updates I don't know when slipped through, the uninstaller detected, it was the ApplicationExperience KernelCEIPTask I think (edit: KB2952664), probably got through some offline type install or BITS push, yes some stuff was being pushed through BITS but that's even more time ago so I don't remember exactly (was suspicious since it installed some KBs at middle of night), since then I have a very extensive hosts file so I guess not much went through if there even was some stuff, I didn't even knew about this on Win7 kinda been a bit lazy on this, but then I went into Task Scheduler for a complete overlook and I found I had already disabled or were disabled since I disabled the Services part of my initial customizations so it hammered down on those because I already have my windows customized heavily to remove general useless stuff from running.

Attached Files:

5. mdfm

mdfm MDL Novice

Apr 4, 2010
    #385 mdfm, Jun 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
    You need to list out the updates KB you had installed.

I did a fresh reinstall of SP1 but when I check for updates it took forever mere only for update check and the Physical memory shooting up from 500mb to 3GB right now and still in the checking process :( , not just it , the CPU usage was up to the max like a looping bug to me
    Did you have the similar condition ?

6. allesok

allesok MDL Novice

Dec 27, 2015
    Update rollup KB3161608 of June 20, 2016, seems a bit suspicious to me.
    To you, too?

7. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. allesok

allesok MDL Novice

Dec 27, 2015
    #388 allesok, Jun 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
    Since some time, a real nuisance when installing an update is that it takes an eternity until the computer (at least in Windows 7) has checked through the list of already installed updates. Only after that can the installation continue.

This is not only a problem when one updates directly from the Internet, which I do not do, but now also turns out to be one (since April or May 2016) when updating manually. Also in this case the update installs in real snail pace if you want to install several of them, one after the other, without a restart (except at the end). It then concerns only the second and following updates in the row, but not the first one. Therefore, there is a workaround: it works smoothly if you restart the computer after each update, i.e.: install them only one by one. But I did install KB3135445 from February 201. After that it worked without that molesting delay. I, however, hesitate to install further updates to Windows Update, as long as I do not know what this does to the immunity towards Windows 10. If the problem comes back again, I will have to install a later update to Windows Update.

As concerns KB3161608, one may wonder (and worry) what else this rollup installs...

9. allesok

allesok MDL Novice

Dec 27, 2015
    By the way, since this did not happen before April or May 2016, it will indicate that MS has changed something in updates form then on that requires a newer Windows Update.

10. rocknard

rocknard MDL Novice

Apr 19, 2015
    Ohhh, thanks. It's stressfull to select so many updates. Better i try SIMPLIX and then i will see , jjeje.

11. JacksonMG

JacksonMG Guest

@mdfm I would find some pack, or offline downloader to catch up on the older updates. In the future then, the searching shouldn't be a problem.

I have a more general request, if anyone could provide a list of unnecessary, superfluous, unwanted, etc. updates for Windows I would be indebted.
    Updates like KB971033 make me wonder if there were more like this. I uninstalled even though it does nothing to my Daz activation, curious if I should keep it uninstalled or reinstall.

Thanks! :tasty:

12. ivnxnvi

ivnxnvi MDL Novice

May 30, 2010
    Hi
    Maybe those links will be helpfull:

Phoenix did excellent job (like always)
    forum.notebookreview.com/threads/windows7-8-updates-to-hide-to-prevent-windows-10-upgrade-disable-telemetry.780476/

voat.co/v/technology/comments/853510

forums.spybot.info/downloads.php?id=56

Sorry but I can't add links so just copy and paste

Regards
    ivnxnvi

13. ktgrrl

ktgrrl MDL Novice

Feb 18, 2013
    Maybe look at Simplix pack for offline fresh installations and then to maintain monthly updates. It really is easy to use. Downloading and installing updates once a month with Simplix is a LOT faster than using Win Updates. You download the pack onto a USB and run it. The program checks for missing "important" and security updates and then installs them directly from the USB. Done! Every month just download & run the current Simplix pack to install the new updates. They've already been pre-screened for telemetry and other undesireable behavior. The excluded updates are listed every month in the Simplix thread here on MDL.

Also look at the "Kill Windows 10" program by Mystikal for change-lists of telemetry and other such updates that Kill Win 10 removes from your PC and "hides" from being offered again by MS, then allows the "safe" updates to be installed from MS site. I don't know if Kill Win 10 will be supported after July 29, but the telemetry tweaks hidden in updates won't stop just because MS ends the offer of "free Win 10" for Win 7 and 8 users! There are other similar pgms; some are mentioned above in this thread.

I haven't compared the agreement between the Simplix and other update exclusion lists, but it would be good to know! For me, the important difference between the one I used (Kill Win 10) is that it looks for and removes any "undesirable" updates already on your PC, "hides" them from later offer by MS, and then downloads the "safe" updates from MS, while (iirc) Simplix doesn't scan for & remove the bad guys, but just checks to see if your PC is missing any of the pre-screened "safe" ones, then installs them from your thumb drive without your PC ever needing to interact with Win Updates at all. In both cases the allowed updates are only the "important" ones deemed safe by the respective program authors (and then vetted by watchful MDL members!), so choosing which updates are safe is a matter of trust and skill. Beyond that, it's up to you to decide what ELSE is unnecessary or superfluous on your PC!

Recently I used Kill Win 10 to clean off some suspicious updates on a friend's lagging PC, then I turned off Win Updates altogether and updated with Simplix from my USB drive. After that it's easy to update it once a month with Simplix. If you prefer to select among the Win Update offerings for yourself, just set WU to tell you about "Important" upates (and not Optional ones) but let you decide which ones to download & install. Then see if any of the offered Win updates are excluded by Simplix and/or Kill Win 10 and/or others that you trust. I'd decline the Win 7 "convenience" roll-up in any case, and take/refuse individual updates instead. MS isn't going to give up easily, but they hope WE will choose convenience over vigilance.

I've found my method to be easy, fast, and (so far) trouble-free for my family and friends, but I'm sure many others here have far more skill than I to manage updates and avoid corporate spyware!

14. allesok

allesok MDL Novice

Dec 27, 2015
    Rollup

The update rollup KB3172605 of July 21 for Windows 7 is probably a “neat” way to sneak in all updates you tried to keep out of your computer… Guess why, just before Windows 10 will no more be free.

15. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    No it's not
    do yourself a favor and check KB3172605 contents

although i'm sure the case is hopeless :rolleyes:

16. underskyzx

underskyzx MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2015
    I wonder if the list on the first post is up to date...the last edit was on nov/2015

17. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    I'm looking through this thread now, but perhaps someone could answer a quick question. Is the telemetry the updates install opt-outable via GUI things? For example, KB2977759 does something with CEIP. Say I don't enable CEIP. Do I have to worry about the telemetry with that update? KB3075249 also does something with consent.exe which as I understand is for UAC prompts. What if I disable UAC; will I have to worry about it?

18. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Most of what's angering people is having the "Update to Windows 10" nagware in their face. IIRC, that's been stopped by Microsoft.

Also, I would suggest against disabling UAC altogether. You don't want some program to do something to your machine against your will, do you?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  19. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    #400 abbodi1406, Aug 11, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    I believe KB2977759 no more tied with CEIP, whether enabled or not
    it has two schedule tasks that runs daily
    Code:
    \Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser
    \Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\ProgramDataUpdater
    KB3075249 has no affect if KB3068708/KB3080149 are not installed