Remove Watermark Windows 8 Build 8250

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by kwadie, Mar 4, 2012.

Tags:
  1. kwadie

kwadie MDL Novice

Mar 2, 2012
    Hi, I Found a way to remove the Watermark completely
    Download the ZIP file

mediafire.com/?13h5i7xfl3d8z85

sorry for the link but i can't post LINKS yet :-(

1. Install the <InstallTakeOwnership.reg> from the Take Ownership
    2. Take Ownership from the <shell32.dll.mui> file (located @ C:\Windows\System32\en-US)
    3. Take Ownership from the <basebrd.dll.mui> file (located @ C:\Windows\Branding\Basebrd\en-US)
    4. Close the Windows Explorer completely in order to let the <InstallTakeOwnership> work
    5. Copy and replace the <shell32.dll.mui> from the Edited Files to C:\Windows\System32\en-US
    6. Copy and replace the <basebrd.dll.mui> from the Edited Files to C:\Windows\Branding\Basebrd\en-US
    7. Start the Command prompt with Administrator(right click)
    8. Type mcbuilder and wait till its finished
    9. Reboot !!
    10. Enjoy !!!!

Attached Files:

2. MaDMaxiBo

MaDMaxiBo MDL Novice

Feb 28, 2012
    Many people looks for a simple way :D

3. jeff69dini

jeff69dini MDL Expert

Nov 22, 2008
    thanks this actually worked, other method posted never worked for me, thanks!!!!

4. dota

dota MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    so far it works..x64 here..thanks a tons! :biggrin:

5. NCS

NCS MDL Member

Jun 24, 2010
    #5 NCS, Mar 5, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
    sorry..guess I wasn't holding my mouth right ...didn't work for me. well I changed themes and it started working...thanks

6. luky

luky MDL Addicted

Dec 21, 2008
    x64 nooooooooooooooooo OK.

7. mdeejay

mdeejay MDL Novice

Aug 9, 2009
    change wallpapers :biggrin:

8. sciencefi

sciencefi MDL Junior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    It works in x64 after change theme.

9. luky

luky MDL Addicted

Dec 21, 2008
    Yes super OK thanks. :worthy:

10. stupidog40

stupidog40 MDL Novice

Jan 27, 2011
    Hi humble request--can someone write a neat little script that will do all that? in this way we can ALL be free of stigma (watermark)

11. $The-King$

$The-King$ MDL Novice

Aug 4, 2009
    works fine

but I want to remove test mode watermark :eek:

I use it for modded intel gfx driver

any help :)

Attached Files:

12. Mustafa Can

Mustafa Can MDL Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Patching basebrd.dll.mui removes the "Windows 8 Consumer Preview" string from most of windows apps (winver.exe for example.) This is why i don't make a watermark patch for Consumer preview.

@$The-King$ Send me your shell32.dll.mui file (via PM) it's located at C:\Windows\System32\en-US .

13. himomthep

himomthep MDL Junior Member

Jun 23, 2011
    to x64 don't works?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. urkelz

urkelz MDL Novice

Mar 1, 2012

I used patch and it still shows Windows 8 Consumer Preview in bold letters at top of winver.exe

15. goofyguysid

goofyguysid MDL Novice

Jun 26, 2011
    Thanks for the patch !! Tested the patch on x32bit consumer preview ..works...a lil addon to the post..Press windows button+Q (that open up the apps folder) then look for command prompt and right click the mouse, a bottom bar pops up and run the command prompt as administrator then type mcbuilder.exe instead of just mcbuilder and then reboot. When your windows 8 starts the watermark will be still there as the new windows has a cache, so personalize the theme and change to nature as this removes the standard theme from cache and you will see the watermark is gone. Now you can go back to the original theme and watermark is gone...

Enjoy !!

16. $The-King$

$The-King$ MDL Novice

Aug 4, 2009
    #16 $The-King$, Mar 5, 2012
    @ Mustafa Can
    I use this one on topic :)
    thanks

17. goofyguysid

goofyguysid MDL Novice

Jun 26, 2011
    Thanks for the patch !! Tested the patch on x32bit consumer preview ..works...a lil addon to the post..Press windows button+Q (that open up the apps folder) then look for command prompt and right click the mouse, a bottom bar pops up and run the command prompt as administrator then type mcbuilder.exe instead of just mcbuilder and then reboot. When your windows 8 starts the watermark will be still there as the new windows has a cache, so personalize the theme and change to nature as this removes the standard theme from cache and you will see the watermark is gone. Now you can go back to the original theme and watermark is gone...

Also to remove test watermark the code is in line 2069 and 2070 in shell32.dll.mui or shell32.dll (under windows/system32). I think they are in shell32.dll.mui file but look for it in both the files..sorry forgot which one it was in..

These two 2069 and 2070 have all the copyrights even the ones when you start in safe mode...

Use Reshack and look for these two string and replace it and you can put whatever takes your fancy..

Enjoy !!

18. ashmicro

ashmicro MDL Junior Member

Mar 2, 2012
    Works on 64 and 32 bit for me. Thank You!!:worthy:

19. fardeen

fardeen MDL Member

May 11, 2010
    i'm unable to get it work i even tried doing a batch file for that

copy and extract to C:\Edited Files

then run this as a batch file

echo off

taskkill /f /im explorer.exe

takeown /f C:\Windows\System32\en-US\shell32.dll.mui
    takeown /f C:\Windows\Branding\Basebrd\en-US\basebrd.dll.mui

del /f C:\Windows\System32\en-US\shell32.dll.mui
    del /f C:\Windows\Branding\Basebrd\en-US\basebrd.dll.mui

xcopy "C:\Edited Files\shell32.dll.mui" C:\Windows\System32\en-US\

xcopy "C:\Edited Files\basebrd.dll.mui" C:\Windows\Branding\Basebrd\en-US

mcbuilder
    explorer.exe
    exit

i'm unable to get it to work can someone help me

20. goofyguysid

goofyguysid MDL Novice

Jun 26, 2011
    #20 goofyguysid, Mar 5, 2012
    First type mcbuilder.exe in command promt running it as an admin.. Then reboot...and change personalization to nature..

Do Not worry...IT IS DONE !! Sometimes it takes a few restarts to clear the cache. After a few reboots it will disappear as Windows 8 has a time limit on cache. That is why it appears to load really fast while in reality it is not. Bootup Speed !! IS A FARCE !! If you want to see the real Windows 8, reboot your computer and immediately open task manager. you will see a few services running but it will take a while for all the services to start. One of the few services that initially runs which is stored in the cache controls the branding. Wait a few reboots and the watermark will disappear...

This cache business gives a false sense of speed...!!