Remove whitelist check / add ID's to break hardware restrictions mod requests.

Discussion in 'BIOS Mod Requests. Post Requests Only' started by Yen, Jun 19, 2010.

1. CubanB

CubanB MDL Novice

Jan 10, 2020
    Fair enough. That makes sense, thanks for you replies.

2. Asparagus Lover

Asparagus Lover MDL Senior Member

May 17, 2019
    @CubanB
    Wait, have you found a mod that works for you?

3. Serg008

Serg008 MDL BIOS/EFI Guru

Feb 23, 2010
  4. CubanB

CubanB MDL Novice

Jan 10, 2020
    I was able to break the whitelist check by installing a new BIOS that I modified with Andy's Tool. It was crude and I don't fully understand how I did it, but it worked better than using Camiloml's method which shows an error like I showed in the screenshot (that was someone else's screenshot but I get the same error).

I have a 7265AC working currently, and am going to try a 8265AC and Realtek RTL8821 in the future (just for to compare BT and wireless performance). So far, the 7265AC is working very well, it's just that my router's wifi is a bit weak and Intel wireless chips seem to suffer from this (with my router). There is inconsistent performance in terms of latency and bandwidth. I have less problems with Realtek (so far) where it seems more stable and consistent. If I put the laptop close to the router it gets full performance, but it's hard to upgrade the router because the ISP forces us to use this one or VOIP won't work. It works ok, I'm just trying to learn so that I can give all of my PC's full wireless performance.

I'm very new to all of this, I just did some experimenting. My changes broke the checksum/hash check and it won't let me install it in Windows with InsydeFlash. It gives an error and says that this BIOS isn't for my laptop. The only thing I changed in the BIOS was {E62F9F2F-4895-4AB5-8F1A-399D0D9C6B90} (WirelessDetection) where I changed from hex ID's with Notepad++. And then imported/replaced the .mod file.

I got around the checksum check by installing the BIOS via the recovery method. Holding Windows key + B and renaming it to 1484.bin. It installs fine and I've had 0 problems going back and forth between the original BIOS and this new one. Everything works well. I can PM for more specifics of what I changed if you are curious. I have a .mod file, and a text file with the hexedits that I made. Because my method might have been luck or a fluke. I don't know if it's the hexedits for the id's that I changed or if it's because I removed the whole whitelist by luck. I only half tested it because I was just happy that it worked, and that this older laptop now has 4.2 Bluetooth and 5G Wifi. It doesn't show any error message it loads straight into Windows without any message, the same way the original Wifi card did.

The only thing I'm curious about now is if the advanced menu can be unlocked because I'd really like to change RAM voltage to 1.35V for DDR3L memory. Is this possible? I'd also like to access CPU fan curves or other things like this. But I know so little about these advanced BIOS options I have no idea if it's even possible, or how to access them. Otherwise the laptop is working really well and has no problems. If you could help me with this, I'd really appreciate it.

5. Asparagus Lover

Asparagus Lover MDL Senior Member

May 17, 2019
    @CubanB
    Adv. menu isn't really a problem, but before creating the mod I'm curious about whitelist removing. I mean I know how to do this, but it's actually a method of Camiloml that doesn't work for you.
    And I also want to know what happened with the checksumm. Andy's tool automatically corrects it, and after that you somehow get an error about BIOS incompatibility, which is strange. Checking whether this or that BIOS is suitable for your device is determined by InsydeFlash only by comparing the platform ID's. But your BIOS is so old that in those years InsydeFlash had not yet started to use the MULTI FD function. So, in the SoftPaqs updates for your BIOS, was introduced a separate .vbe script that makes the selection of a suitable platform.ini file. Please upload the InsydeFlash.log leftover from past installations to figure out
    whether it is Camiloml's mod was corrupted, or not.

6. CubanB

CubanB MDL Novice

Jan 10, 2020
    I will share with you via PM, I'm sorry to Serg008 and others, I'm not trying to clutter this thread.

7. Serg008

Feb 23, 2010
    I don't do this type of BIOS modification because it usually causes the laptop to malfunction, so...sorry

8. Serg008

Feb 23, 2010
    unplug the HDD and try again