Remove Write Protection from Windows 10 USB

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by creeve4, Nov 25, 2018.

1. bfoos

bfoos MDL Guide Dog

Jun 15, 2008
    You can use it for data storage if you disable write protection.

2. yuer1598

yuer1598 MDL Novice

Apr 20, 2019
    "I have a Windows 10 USB drive (purchased from Microsoft) with an older version of Windows on it. I would like to remove the write protection that MS applied, format it, and put a newer version of Windows on it.
    Does anyone have experience/guidance for removing the write protection on these drives?"
    To remove write protection from USB drive, you can try the following methods:
    1. Check the write protection switch if available
    Some USB flash drives have a physical switch which allows you to lock or unlock write protection. The location of a switch on a USB flash drive will be different. Make sure the lock switch is slid up to unlock position. You will not be able to transfer files to the USB drive if it is locked.
    If the write protection switch on your USB drive is off and you still get the error message or there is no physical switch on your USB drive, please skip to Step 2.
    2. Clear read-only attributes with DiskPart utility
    Press Windows key + R combination on your keyboard. In the pop-up Run dialog box, type diskpart and hit Enter or click "OK" to open the DiskPart Command Prompt.
    Type the following commands one by one and hit Enter after each:
    • list disk - all of the disks connected to the computer will be displayed, including internal hard drives.
    • select disk n - where n is the number of USB flash drive. You can use the Size column to identify which one it is.
    • attributes disk clear readonly - change your USB's properties so that it is no longer read-only
    Close DiskPart Command Prompt and re-plug your USB flash driveto check if the write protection error is resolved. If not, please try the next step.
    3.Edit the registry
    Press Windows key + R combination on your keyboard. In the pop-up Run dialog box, type regedit and hit Enter or click "OK" to open the Registry Editor.
    Expand the entries on the left-hand pane to navigate to the following path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies
    On the right-hand pane, double-click on the WriteProtect or right click on it and select "Modify". In the pop-up window, you may find that the "Value data" is set to 1 which means current computer is enabled with write protection on USB storage device. To disable it, you need to change the value from 1 to 0 and click OK to apply the change.
    4. Format it
    If you don't care about data on the USB drive, and above methods do not work, you can try a write-protected USB format tool to directly format it to a compatible file system. For this task, the free AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard is worth a shot.

3. bfoos

bfoos MDL Guide Dog

Jun 15, 2008
    Cool story, but none of these methods actually apply to the devices discussed in this thread.

4. itsmemario1

itsmemario1 MDL Expert

Sep 10, 2012
    Nice reading...I also always wondered "whats wrong" with these official Windows 10 USB Sticks. Now I know ! :'D

p.s.
    Does it work the other way around ? Like, making special USB Sticks write protected via the mentioned tools ?

5. bfoos

bfoos MDL Guide Dog

Jun 15, 2008
    I'm unsure if it works the other way around as I no longer have a device to test on. However, I would recommend just using diskpart to set the readonly attribute as that will stifle most peoples attempts at altering the contents of a drive.

6. oilernut

oilernut MDL Senior Member

Jul 8, 2007
    You have to low level format the usb stick with a 3rd party utility, i've done it with dell recovery usb sticks.

7. evilfrog

evilfrog MDL Novice

Dec 28, 2019
    #47 evilfrog, Dec 28, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
    ok forget it it was flashing something then showed a error then i cant see the usb drive anymore lol i think its dead lol

i tryed some instruction i found here but no luck here my model

Description: [D:]USB Mass Storage Device(KDI-MSFT Windows 10)
    Device Type: Mass Storage Device

Protocal Version: USB 2.10 <- Hint: This device can run faster when plugged to a USB3.0 port
    Current Speed: High Speed
    Max Current: 300mA

USB Device ID: VID = 0951 PID = 16AA
    Serial Number: 001BFCA29152BF8031F22D43

Device Vendor: KDI-MSFT
    Device Name: Windows 10
    Device Revision: 0100

Manufacturer: KDI-MSFT
    Product Model: Windows 10
    Product Revision: PMAP

Controller Vendor: Phison
    Controller Part-Number: PS2251-07(PS2307) - F/W 01.04.53 [2014-12-02]
    Flash ID code: 983AA8927650 - Toshiba TC58NVG7T2JTA00 [TLC-8K]

8. Solace50

Solace50 MDL Novice

Feb 23, 2011
    The design of some USB flash drives and SD cards will set a specific flag on the chip which is not reversible once drive corruption occurs. Even low level formats did not work and upon re-plugging in the device the old contents would appear.

9. bfoos

bfoos MDL Guide Dog

Jun 15, 2008
    #49 bfoos, Jan 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    Thanks for your contribution but if you had read more closely and continued to read, you would have seen that the device he was trying to unlock was an MS branded USB installation disk and that I provided relevant information to him which allowed him to flash the drive and remove the write lock.

10. febryce

febryce MDL Novice

Oct 10, 2011
    Hi, thanks for your answer. Do you know where I could ask my question? A specialized forum?

11. bfoos

bfoos MDL Guide Dog

Jun 15, 2008
    No I don't. Sorry.

12. emi.lian

emi.lian MDL Novice

Apr 11, 2020
    Hello,

I made some researches and found that Toshiba chipset is working properly (tested on my own), but when it comes about the Hynix i get the same error as you.

So all we need know is to get one idea of how to make this Hynix chipset work :D

Let us know if you found a way to do it! Please! I still have 2 Hynix sticks to update :)

13. emi.lian

emi.lian MDL Novice

Apr 11, 2020
    Situation update.

As you can see here:

With ChipGenius you could see:

Description: [#:] USB Mass Storage Device (KDI-MSFT Windows 10)
    Protocal Version: USB 2.10 <- Hint: This device can run faster when plugged to a USB3.0 port
    Max Current: 300mA
    USB Device ID: VID = 0951 PID = 16AA
    Serial Number: #####################
    Device Vendor: KDI-MSFT
    Device Name: Windows 10
    Device Revision: 0110
    Manufacturer: KDI-MSFT
    Product Model: Windows 10
    Controller Part-Number: PS2251-07 (PS2307) - F / W 08.01.50 [2017-01-17]
    Flash ID code: AD3A1803 - Hynix [TLC]
    In total, two key information are key from this statement: Phison 2251-07 chipset, bone type: Hynix (TLC), system ID AD3A1803 (AD 3A 18 03).

The problem cannot be moved by MPALL or UPToll - the programs would either flush the memory in red or indicate an error during the process, according to information from the usbdev.ru forum, this particular chip + memo pair is not supported by these programs. The only (at least found by me) opportunity is to use the program Phison Format & Restore in one particular version 3.23 (and no other). You can also permanently destroy memory in the process.

The procedure is roughly as follows:

1. you need to download "Phison Format & Restore" (version 3.23)

2. insert the pendrive into the port, launch the application, click "Restore" and "Restore" again, confirm "Yes" and wait for the error with information about the operation failure. You can close the app after that ...

3. 4 effects can occur here:

a) the system will immediately detect an unformatted flash drive without any additional action - you can format it

b) the system does nothing - the pendrive needs to be removed and inserted again into the socket, the system detects an unformatted pendrive - it can be formatted

c) the system will not detect the pendrive any more despite attempts to remove and insert it (basket ...)

d) nothing will change.
    The most common effect is in the form of lit. a) and b). After all this operation, the information in ChipGenius changes to the following:

Description: [#:] USB mass storage device (13FE USB DISK 50X)
    Max Current: 498mA
    USB Device ID: VID = 13FE PID = 5100
    Serial Number: 100000008299____________
    Device Vendor: 13FE
    Device Name: USB DISK 50X
    Manufacturer: 13FE
    Product Model: USB DISK 50X
    Controller Part-Number: PS2251-07 (PS2307) - F / W 08.01.50 [2017-01-17]
    Flash ID code: AD3A18030050 - Hynix [TLC]
    As you can see, some of the data has changed.

The flash drive works, the comments on the Internet show information that in the case of successful operation a decrease in read / write speed is observed, I have personally verified it yet.

Good luck to not destroy the drive! for me it worked on 1 of 2 drives. :)

14. Jestallion

Jestallion MDL Novice

May 26, 2020
    @bfoos Thanks man! Tried your fix today and it worked!

15. bfoos

bfoos MDL Guide Dog

Jun 15, 2008
    You're welcome!

16. Sam Dubb

Sam Dubb MDL Novice

Jul 25, 2020
    I have tried all the methods here nothing working for me.

Description: [G:]USB Mass Storage Device(TOSHIBA MSFT NORB)

Protocal Version: USB 3.00
    Max Current: 504mA

USB Device ID: VID = 0930 PID = 1400
    Serial Number: 07086810CD1B9F47

Device Vendor: TOSHIBA
    Device Name: MSFT NORB

Manufacturer: TOSHIBA
    Product Model: MSFT NORB

Controller Part-Number: PS2251-03(PS2303) - F/W 05.01.55 [2015-10-15]
    Flash ID code: 98DE88A37251 - Toshiba [TLC]

17. Insanegamer1996

Insanegamer1996 MDL Junior Member

Oct 22, 2019
    If there is any1 whos having microsoft usb still then please post here because i have some questions about files on those usb's