remove xp from dual-boot with win7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by zaiko, Jan 7, 2010.

1. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Never considered doing that......very good. ;):D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Thats correct. If you follow the instruction you will be fine. The only thing you are doing is telling your machine to ignore the old XP partition at boot-up. Your other hard drives dont come into the equation and so they and the data stored on them will be untouched. :D:D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. zaiko

zaiko MDL Member

Jan 1, 2010
    to be 100 % sure if I use bcdedit /delete {ntldr} /f is then the XP partition deleted ? And reboot direct in win 7 ?

4. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    What this method does is forces the boot entry fo Windows XP to be deleted. Basically "delete {ntldr} /f", means the following:
    {ntldr} = nt loader , used to boot / load win xp.
    /f = this is called the force switch used to force the deletion of {ntldr}/

When you have run this command you MUST reboot.

Once booted into Windows 7 go to "administrtaive tools/ disk management" , and reformat the drive where the XP install is. Once these steps are done you are where you want to be.100 % :D:D

5. zaiko

zaiko MDL Member

Jan 1, 2010
    thnx a lot I will be back when everything is ok!

6. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    No problem, as i said......follow the instructions and you will be fine. :D:D

7. zaiko

zaiko MDL Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Ok i got rid of the bootmenu and I'm back in win 7.
    I want to format partition D (XP) in disk management but format is greyed out.
    Now i'm taking a look with partition wizard.
    Should i maybe first set the D partition inactive first and the win 7 active ? And then format D ? Is that logical ?

Attached Files:

8. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Yes, that is the correct thing to do and perfectly logical. :D:D:D

9. zaiko

zaiko MDL Member

Jan 1, 2010
    #29 zaiko, Jan 10, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
    (OP)
    another problem I can't set win 7 active (maybe because it's a logical partition)

Maybe it's better to install win 7 in the XP partition ? Will that work ?
    And if that goes later get rid of the first win xp (logical partition)?

10. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    #30 alextheg, Jan 10, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
    Right click on the C:\ partitiion "in partition wizard". Select "modify" and then choose "set as primary". Next right click that partition again, select "modify" then click "set active".

Now you should see partition C:\ as "active and boot".

Now right click on partition D:\ and select " modify / set inactive" Once you have done this right click on D:\ and select "format". Click apply for changes to take effect.

That should see you right. :D:D

11. jupier2k

jupier2k MDL Member

Jan 20, 2009
    it is possible your win 7 bootsect reside in your XP partition ,assuming it is .
    Then
    that's why its grey out! yes install /dual boot win 7 in your XP partition will definite correct itself !

12. zaiko

zaiko MDL Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Ok problem solved !!

I deleted partition D , copied partition C to the deleted partition , set this active and afterwards deleted partition C !

All done with Easeus Partition Master. Worked like a charme .

I want to thank everybody for the support !

Great forum!