Removing Crapware makes computer super slow?!

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by ian82, Jun 25, 2013.

1. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    I was asked at work to see this issue with McAfee popping up on each restart saying the license expired, so I uninstalled it via the McAfee Uninstall tool then noticed Symantec Business Edition was installed at the same time as McAfee so I uninstalled that too and then me thinking I am smart, I started uninstalling Crapware like the Cyberlink DVD Studio and UCAM and lots of other crapware...

I then installed Bitdefender AV (licensed copy) and the computer became as slow as a turtle!

My manager came in this morning and complained to me that his computer is super slow I told him that it had many viruses and I cleaned them up but he says his PC wasn't this slow when the viruses were there?

There is something abnormal about its slowness now.

He is using Vista SP1 so I installed SP2 for him Bitdefender wouldn't install if he didn't have SP2. His computer was never updated before and was superfast and now it's crippled.

After installing Bitdefender Antivirus I ran Paragon Alignment Tool and noticed that his C: and D: partitions were not aligned but even if I align them I don't think that's the main issue

any suggestions would be highly appreciated

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Best may would be to save all data, make a list of installed Apps and do a clean new installation. Install all apps, exclude AV! Make an Image of the HDD! Don't copy data back yet, disable Defender and install your AV Apps. Check working!

Don't have 2 or more AV's running the same time!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. BigW

BigW MDL Member

Apr 25, 2010
    Well this IS the answer to your questions! Vista has been slow since the begining. This doesn't change even if you install a SP2 over a with several AVs and malware craped down OS. By the way removing a Symantec-thing is an art in itselve and mastered by hardly anybody. If there has been malware on the NB you never can't be sure to cleaned all.

So long story short if at least one virus you were aware of you better make a whole diskwipe and install from scrape. NO I MEAN NOT FOR YOU TO INSTALL FROM THE MANUFACTURE-RESTOREDISK OR PARTITION! USE A GENUINE WINDOWS IMAGE!! With such an install you have all the power you can get from hardware.