Removing OS only, from an old master now a slave drive.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Danimal077, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Danimal077

Danimal077 MDL Novice

Jul 27, 2012
    #1 Danimal077, Feb 22, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
    I have Windows 7 Ult on my D which was primary but have
    installed windows 7 Prem on new C, (new 120Gb SSD).

Is there a way of removing the entire Win7 Ult OS from D, but keeping everything else?

2. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    What I would do is save all your important files, documents, pictures etc etc onto disc or an external hdd.

Then just plug in your SSD and install a whole new fresh install of your chosen OS. Make sure it's all updated.

A nice clean install, all files saved. Take this time to update your fav software as you reinstall them.

That's what I would do.

3. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    unplug old.. boot usb and repair windows startup. make sure new is in sata port 0 then boot should work.. now turn off and now plug in old to port 1 or 2 not 0. format or backup files.

4. Danimal077

Danimal077 MDL Novice

Jul 27, 2012

Thanks.
    I was looking for a quicker solution, but I now have the time to copy all "my stuff".

5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Just like to tell that the title of this topic is very miss-leading!!

In this case the "Slave" is the second drive! While telling that the OP would like to remove the OS from drive C, simply means that he like to keep the OS on the other drive, which is the "Slave" in that regard! The C Drive is the "Master" or Boot Drive (HDD)!

What is classified in BIOS as the 1. Boot HDD, the C Drive, didn't means that those drive needs to be connected on SATA Drive Port 1 (Windows Disk Management call that Disk 0) , it could be connected on any SATA Drive Port.

I would suggest that the OP change the title of the topic!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Danimal077

Danimal077 MDL Novice

Jul 27, 2012
    Thanks pisthai.

It came across my mind later that confusion may occur after thinking about this.

D.