Rename SBS 2003 server to FQDN

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by kubato, Sep 2, 2010.

1. kubato

kubato MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    I have a client running a SBS 2003 AD server w/exchange. The other person installed and set up the server. It is generating tons of errors but, still works. The problem is that the server name is server and the domain is domain.com. I do not need to change the domain but, the server name should be server.domain.com instead of just "server". Can this be done without too much problems? I know I can rename it but, just want someone who has more experience with SBS that might have done this.

2. OmniBlade

OmniBlade MDL Novice

Oct 10, 2009
    Perhaps I'm missing something here, but if the servers host name is "server" and it is in the domain "domain.com" (presumably as the DC based on your description), then surely its fqdn is already server.domain.com. If it doesn't correctly resolve as such when you use that address then I'd say you have a DNS issue on the network and it isn't a matter of renaming the server as such.

3. kubato

kubato MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    #3 kubato, Sep 2, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
    (OP)
    Yes, I might be able to modify the dns to work but, the problem is that the person who orginally installed it used the netbios name where he should have put the FQDN so he put server when he should have put server.domain.com. There are lots of errors generated and the server will default to wins and netbios but, this server is overloaded and has no memory or HD space. You see, it is a waste of server time and all the errors are just slowing this POS down to a crawl. For this to be correct, right clicking on my computer and then properties should have in the computer name box for a domain server, "server.domain.com" and the domain should be "domain.com" but, the name is only "server" (netbios name). Maybe if I remove the dot behind the name server in DNS that will force the correct domain name to be added like you say.....????? any DNS pros out there.
    I am downloading a backup of SBS2003 so I can try it VMware.

4. OmniBlade

OmniBlade MDL Novice

Oct 10, 2009
    What do you mean he put the netbios name instead of the fqdn? Does SBS ask you for the FQDN at any point? I've configured 2k3 and 2k8 servers and I don't recall them asking for the FQDN, they only ask for a name for the server (the host name) and the domain name (as well as a netbios name for the domain). What services are you getting the errors for and what are they? Is this server acting as the DNS and WINS server or are those on a seperate server? Also, what do you mean by "remove the dot behind the name server"?

5. OleBent

OleBent MDL Member

Aug 22, 2007
    As others previously have mentioned I too am having difficulty in fully understandig what it actually is you mean.

Besides that renaming an SBS server is not an option!
    All the components of this software is so closely tied together that you will never get this box running properly even if you actually manage getting it renamed.

Therefore only solution.
    Backup you data, wipe the box and start shuffling the setup disks.

That way you will actually be able to get a properly functioning system just by following the wizards.

6. willko

willko MDL Member

May 14, 2008
    Agreed ( OK, maybe not the ONLY solution - but the best by miles), especially if you inherited the system. A fresh install is almost always quicker than trying to fix a cripple box. Concentrate on backing up data and restoration techniques. Honestly, you'll feel much better in the run.

PS - If you can , take the opportunity to go with Server 2008 R2, its the best windows server OS hands down

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...