Renaming of local drive in windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jraju, May 27, 2013.

1. jraju

jraju MDL Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Hi, I inadvertantly moved microsoft fix somehow and my local drive D has renamed it self as microsoft fix. I tried the fix for cd dvd drive problem. But I do not know how to rename it. If i right click and rename it, it asks for permission, when i click continue, it does exit without renaming. Could it be renamed back to Local Disk D

2. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Usually Windows names a harddrive 'Local Disk' if it does not have a label. So you would need to remove the name.

3. jraju

jraju MDL Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Sir, When i tried to remove the name, it says "you must have admn power". click continue your operation. When i click continue, it does not remove, but just exit out of it. The name contains fixit icon of microsoft also.How should i remove ,sir.

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. jraju

jraju MDL Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Hi, Sir, I went to the registry subkey clsid but there were no entry in english, but there are five folders with non alpha characters, with a value not set. sir. I wish to inform you that in my device manager, this icon is shown as Local Disk D, but in explorer , this is shown as Microsoft fix D.

6. test004

test004 MDL Member

Oct 21, 2009
    reboot in safe mode and try to rename it with the normal way (right click on hard drive)

7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    #7 pisthai, May 28, 2013
    Last edited: May 28, 2013
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. jraju

jraju MDL Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Sir, There it is showed as usual as Local Disk D to Pisthai
    Sir, There it is showed as usual as Local Disk D to Test004

9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  10. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    #10 Carlos Detweiller, May 28, 2013
    Last edited: May 28, 2013
    Check your drive D:, search for an autorun.inf file (may be hidden or even super-hidden). If it exists, delete/rename it.

11. jraju

jraju MDL Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Hi, Pisthai, sir, I searched and found nothing as Fix it portable, this is the name that the explorer Local Disk D has . But in all other views, it is shown as normal disk as i pointed out in my earlier posts.
    I had already enabled show hidden files including system files Carlo sir, Even though it is not posing a problem is there any way to remove the entries, superimposed in the drive inadvertantly. i cannot attach a screen shot, as i do not know how to attach, or to know whether i will be allowed to do so.I like this forum, as browsing through the queries and answers, it made me rich in knowledge of the intricacies in the realm of computer and software.

12. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  13. CaptainKirk1966

CaptainKirk1966 Former MDL Guru

Oct 31, 2009
    Carlos had good advice about autorun.inf and funny disk label - same thing happened to me, and I puzzled over it for many days. If you see an autorun.inf on your drive d: just right click on it and delete/rename it.

14. jraju

jraju MDL Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Thanks carlo. There was an autorun.inf of fixit portable. I deleted but could not notice any change. But when i rebooted the pc, the disk has normal "local disk d " lable. But before that i got a windows message on a flash and vanished in few seconds. I do not know where to find the log of the message. Carlo,sir, the c disk is having a windows logo . Is it normal. I am asking this because i do not find any autorun.inf file there. Thanks for all the members who have shared their valuable ideas and Pisthai for excellent tip on uploading.

15. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  16. jraju

jraju MDL Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Carlos sir,
    This is the contents of fix it all
    [AUTORUN]
    OPEN=FIXITP~1\LAUNCH~1.EXE
    ICON=FIXITP~1\LAUNCH~1.EXE
    LABEL=Fix it portable
    ACTION=Fix it portable

How can this superimpose a drive in a pc, sir,

17. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    It's self explanatory,

ICON=FIXITP~1\LAUNCH~1.EXE so it is using the Icon from the Fixit Launch program

LABEL=Fix it portable it will label your drive Fix it portable.

18. jraju

jraju MDL Member

Apr 6, 2013
    First of all thank you for your reply.So, this is a suspicious autorun.inf from some where, not from microsoft , urie, sir. If not, what purpose it is doing to rename the drive sir,. I have launched fix it portable to fix some unrecongnized cd dvd drive problem. Is it a autorun virus.