Renaming of local drive in windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jraju, May 27, 2013.

1. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    No it is not a Virus or suspicious autorun.inf the fact you downloaded portable version means when you put it on the portable device you will know what is on it when you plugged in the device.

2. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Labeling a drive via autorun.inf isn't known to most people. The legacy method is the LABEL that has survived from the DOS era (a label is just an empty file in the root bearing a special set of attributes).

Important: Naming a drive via autorun.inf overrides the legacy method.

3. jraju

jraju MDL Member

Apr 6, 2013
    #23 jraju, Jun 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
    (OP)
    Sir, I have just clicked the portable fix to fix some dvd problem. Have i done anything wrong carlo sir. Please give advice, if downloading from internet. If i disable autorun.inf totally with Panda usb vaccine, which i found as a best utility, then nothing could be autorun including bootable cd.I have protected the computer with this wonderful utitility and if a pen drive is inserted it automaticallyl vaccinates the pd . You could safely delete unwanted files in the pd. Eventhough i enabled computer protection with this, i do not know how these kind of autoruns are automatically enabled themselves to create not known behaviour. This utility was released when computers were crashed with world famous ---virus. i could not collect the name now. But for you, i would be surfing the net for ever to get the solution.
    In windows 7 autoplay is a feature in the control panel, which enables various media how to autoplay.

4. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    As soon as the autorun.inf from the package is placed into the root of one of your drives Windows applies the values it finds inside (doesn't happen instantly, needs a reload of Explorer). In your case, the drive name and icon changed. Remove that autorun.inf file, and the changes revert (they aren't permanent).

Just clean up the patch files and you're good to go. The portable package just won't delete its files like the Setup one does when it closes.

5. jraju

jraju MDL Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Thank you for your valuable information. Hereafter i will try to be cautious when downloading these kind of fixes to directly download to the pen drive instead of any local drives. Thanks for all of you. It is always pleasure to know some thing good from the seniors. Thanks again