Repaired .pst files still can't be read in Outlook 2003

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by mac_loving_skype, Aug 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mac_loving_skype

mac_loving_skype MDL Novice

Aug 19, 2008
    Hi

I have Outlook 2003 on an XP and I've been trying to read my Outlook.pst that I got from a previous computer. The only thing I remember from that old laptop is that it had XP Home. I used the classic export to get that outlook.pst file.
    Now I'm on the new XP, it's got Outlook 2003 on it. I've imported archives.pst without a problem, but it says I need to repair outlook.pst with scanpst.exe

I've done that and I still can't import.... any ideas?

Thanks!

2. fisherman

fisherman MDL Novice

May 5, 2008
  3. kewlfire76

kewlfire76 MDL Novice

Oct 22, 2008
    Can't read .PST in Outlook 2003

Was this issue resolved?
    What was the previous version of Outlook that your transferred from?
    What was the actual error message you received when you encountered the issue?

4. fred64

fred64 MDL Junior Member

May 2, 2007
    You can recover your/read your old Outlook.pst file but may have to swap between files.

Try this:
    First unhide hidden operating system files: go to Windows Explorer/ tools/ View and untick Hide protected operating system files.

Close Outlook

Now go to:
    C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
    and rename the Outlook.pst file to, say Outlook1.pst do not delete it.

Next copy your old Outlook.pst file( the one you want to recover) to the folder
    (C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook)

You can now restart Outlook and you should have all your old stuff available but none of the new
    IMPORTANT: do not download any mail etc whilst this file is in place or you will get new mixed with old.

If you want to go back to your new stuff just reverse the naming of the Outlook1.pst files.

Don't forget to rehide the protected operatingsystem files

I have done it several times without problem in fact I now keep my .pst file on another partition so that I can link to it every time I change my OS.(often)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    #6 HMonk, Dec 10, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. mutu26

mutu26 MDL Novice

Dec 6, 2009
    This situation is difficult but I solved like conditions with help another tools,which I were finding in the google

7. mutu26

mutu26 MDL Novice

Dec 6, 2009
    Moreover I Heard about some tools which is working with big sizes of mails.

8. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    PST file structure is universal if you export to PST and whatever software you have can read PST then it should read unless it is corrupt. It is only when you pass the 2gb size with non-unicode (Outlook 2003 pre-SP2 and earlier) PST files that you have issues. If the PST file is not reading then it is corrupt. If scanPST is not fixing it then you will need to use something more advanced to see if the file is even readable. AOR - advanced outlook recovery like someone mentioned earlier is the best for this. It's not cheap but it will recovery things out of OST (exchange offline PST), and PST files.

9. sapna007

sapna007 MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2012
    Rapidly recover, repair and restore damaged or corrupted Personal Storage Files (PST) from
    MS Outlook Emails, Contacts, Notes, Tasks, Journals and Folders.....you can find more informations in google

10. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    has anyone ran chkdsk /f then press Y for Yes to schedule on next reboot.. then restart .. then try recovering the pst .. huge file will likely hit a corrupt sector of hard disk.
    :jockey: