Repairing NTFS indexes on failed partition move

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by morfi717, Aug 17, 2021.

1. morfi717

morfi717 MDL Novice

Sep 26, 2016
    I had a healthy NTFS parition (220GB in size of which 80GB used). I was using gparted on live linux to move this partition a bit to the left, but it froze in between the process (was not moving for hours). I then used linux's dd tool to duplicate this partition to a fresh one (without cancelling the move-to-left operation). Once the duplication was completed I rebooted the system.

Thus, I was left with two "broken" partitions. The data is still there physically, but the indexes? are broken. On the original partition I ran chkdsk /r, but I ended with a large "found.000" directory with lots of files but... well... they are not in their 'proper' directories. I guess this partition is doomed after chkdsk trampled it.

Is there any automated method (software) that attempts to restore indexes of those files in their respective directories on the duplicated partition? Manually trying to figure out where those files resided would be an impossible job to do.

thanks

2. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    active@ partition recovery & other tools by them

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...